Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Cowboy Costume Tutorial

The Man-Cub needed a cowboy costume to take to Webelos Camp - that's what the letter said to bring - at this point I don't know why - I'm sure there will be pictures later. So we bought some fake leathery-looking material at Stuff-Mart and set to work - we drew a picture of what the finished product would look like...
...somewhat...


...then we cut out a paper pattern and tried that on...

I used his Cub Scout Patch Vest as a pattern for the vest - then just two shoulder seams and two side seams...
Add some fringe in a contrasting color... I just topstitched a strip to the front of the vest and snipped it to make a fringe...
It was already the wee sma's so I didn't have a Man-Cub to try things on - I grabbed a pair of jeans for sizing...
...and cut out a yoke...

Then I stitched the legs to the yoke and added some decorative trim - this is where the buttonholes will go for the piece that wraps around the leg...
...add the waistband straps - these will double over and button in the back...
...stitch 3 buttonholes through the trim and then stitch 3 corresponding buttons on the front of the leg piece...

...this is a back view of it all buttoned up...

Then fringe the edge of the chaps...
...it was a fun project and the Man-Cub loves it - I'll post pictures of him wearing it later...

2 comments:

  1. Great project. I had to think a while to know what wee sma's are but I did figure it out. So that's when you do all these amazing things. E

    ReplyDelete
  2. wee sma's is from Lucy Maud Montgomery - probably some of the Anne of Green Gables books - but maybe from her journals too - I'll post a picture of the Man-Cub wearing his costume at camp.

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete