Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lentil Stew

Genesis 25
29 Once when Jacob was cooking stew, Esau came in from the field, and he was exhausted.
30 And Esau said to Jacob, "Let me eat some of that red stew, for I am exhausted!" (Therefore his name was called Edom.)
31 Jacob said, "Sell me your birthright now."
32 Esau said, "I am about to die; of what use is a birthright to me?"
33 Jacob said, "Swear to me now." So he swore to him and sold his birthright to Jacob.
34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and lentil stew, and he ate and drank and rose and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright.

I'm not sure it's good enough to sell your birthright for - but it is really good - and so, so simple to make...

Lentil Stew

1 cup lentils
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

That's it - really - just put everything into a pot - bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 1 hour...

I love lentil stew...

2 comments:

  1. looks yummy. i've always thought it was funny that esau sold his birthright over stew. he must have been awful hungry!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have all of these ingredients in the house I shall make this for lunch.

    Usually I would have my own bread with it, but as we are packing and moving I have none and must rely on inadequate bought bread.

    Bubble and squeak for tea - leftover potato and parsnip mash, sprouts and carrots. Yum

    ReplyDelete