Saturday, April 24, 2010

Black Soybeans / Soy Milk = Black Tofu

I feel like the narrator for Monty Python and that I should say "...and now for something completely different..." - except that it really wasn't that different at all - in flavour anyway...
...but it sure was in appearance...
...I had some Organic Black Soybeans that I wanted to use up - I had tried using them like black beans - but I never could get them remotely close to soft enough - so I had the brillant idea of just turning them into tofu - they ARE soybeans after all - and I make tofu all the time - right?...

...I made the milk - it was a sort of purplish/dark grey - and added the coagulant...

...checked the curds after about 15 minutes and they looked perfect - a much lighter grey though...weird...

...formed my block of tofu the regular way - and then baked the block with a little bit of olive oil - just like I always do...

...the baking process turned the tofu back to it's original black colour - neither of the boys wanted to eat it - and I'll spare you what the Man said it looked like - but I sprinkled mine with soy sauce (as always) and gnoshed away - I couldn't tell any difference in texture or flavour...

...I'm definitely going to use up the rest of the beans in this manner...and eat it by myself...

6 comments:

  1. I guess you can learn something new every day, BLACK SOYBEANS, ??? Anyway, I'm glad you got to use them. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was really weird looking!! you know i've tried the strange black dishes when i'm traveling...the black corn "fungus" in guadalajara, the squid ink sauce over orzo pasta, strange purple/black bean "desert" in beijing....i think i would probably like it too! (i didn't know they had black soybeans either)

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I don't think my kids would have eaten it either. But they do surprise me sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! you are one talented lady; tofu is awesome - I'd love to try making some of my own...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have eaten it. It looks fine to me! I love black soybeans. It must be in the air. Wait until you the whopper-jawed pillows I'm about to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, just like The Little Red Hen, you made it yourself and ate it yourself!

    ReplyDelete