Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tater Tots

Tater Tots do appear to be vegan...
Ingredients List
POTATOES, VEGETABLE OIL (SUNFLOWER, COTTONSEED, SOYBEAN, AND/OR CANOLA), SALT, YELLOW CORN FLOUR, ONIONS, DEXTROSE, DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE, NATURAL FLAVORING
...who knows what Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate is... wiki says it's a buffering and chelating agent, with many food and industrial uses. It is polyvalent, and acts as a Lewis base, so is effective at binding polyvalent cations...
...but I didn't have any - and we were having Tater Tot Hot Dish at a Church supper - you know how I like to make a vegan version of whatever they're having...

...so I grated up a potato...

...added a sprinkle of garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper - and about 2 Tablespoons of flour...

...then I smooshed that all together...

...and pinched up little balls and dropped them onto a hot griddle sprayed with a little olive oil...

...just fried them up - until they were nice and crispy and turned them over...

...and popped them on top of my little vegan casserole - consisting of:

Mixed veg
My homemade vegan mushroom soup
and some TVP crumbles soaked in some vegan beef bouillon

...that's it - it was really yummy - and my plate looked pretty much like everyone else's - except my veg still had some colour to it - hehe...

9 comments:

  1. i bet yours was better - tater tots have just a bit of that strange "processed" taste to me.

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so yummy! i've been wanting to know how to make my own tater tots... and now thanks to you, I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First paragraph, read with no reference to potatoes could be a description of some chemical process of great complexity.

    It's not a product we have here in the UK - not to say we don't have other chemical food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good as well as a great substitute for the fake stuff. I don't eat the fake stuff. The fake stuff scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! You are so creative at creating a vegan version of different foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those tater tots do look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was drooling over your tater tots but oh to see them go on top of a casserole. YUM YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried to make homemade tater tots. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:03 PM

    Ooooh That looks so yummy! I will definitely have to try it.

    I hate packaged tater tots--yuck!
    But I love shredding my own tater's. :)

    ReplyDelete