Saturday, July 17, 2010

Amazing Strawberry Shortcake with Vegan Whipped Cream

More strawberries...(I actually thought I had already posted this...hmmmm...)

...sweet little biscuits baking....using the little toaster oven - it's not been very hot here but it saves on heat and electricity...

...cut up some fresh strawberries and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar...

...this is just Mom's 'recipe' for biscuits with a couple of spoonfuls of sugar added...I remember when I was about 8 and Mom taught me to make biscuits - (I think I may have even been working on my Girl Scout Cooking Badge...) - we didn't use a recipe - it was all about how things looked and felt - I LOVE my Mom's biscuits - so this recipe is all just 'about':

2 cups flour - I used Self Rising ('cause that's how my Mama taught me) - but you can use plain - just add salt and baking powder.
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons shortening - I used Earth Balance
Mix in enough soy milk to moisten and make a soft dough.
Roll out and cut with a biscuit cutter.
Bake at 450 until golden brown.

Now the truly amazing part - Vegan Whipped Cream!

Chill a couple of cans of coconut milk - turn them upside down and open them - and drain off the liquid milk - you'll be left with a thick 'cream' at the top - scoop that into a dish...

...then using a chilled beater and bowl (I put mine in the freezer for about 1/2 hour)...more about that bowl later - it was an early birthday present - specifically for whipping things...

...add about 1/4 cup of powdered sugar...

...and whip until nice and fluffy...

...Seriously - you won't be disappointed - this stuff is so good, I could have licked the bowl clean - so much better than Cool Whip...

...Finally, assemble your shortcake by cutting your biscuit in half - put some strawberries and juice in the middle with some whipped 'cream' - then put on the top and some more straberries and juice and then another BIG dollop of that 'cream'...and just try not to smile the entire time you're eating it...

10 comments:

  1. Looks great. I would love to try it since I love strawberries but also the whipped "cream" looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! My mom always made Bisquick biscuits which are good, but I've been looking for a great made-from-scratch recipe, so I will have to give this one a try! How thin do you roll out the dough before using the biscuit cutter? I must be rolling mine too thin because they turn out like hard little discs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! I am now craving strawberry shortcake! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks just yummy!!! strawberries are my favourite fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:15 PM

    Looks delicious!
    We've been wanting to try out coconut whipped cream for a while now. (There has been a can of it in the fridge for ages--waiting and waiting.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you thank you thank you for posting this....I have to try the vegan whipped cream it looks divine! I buy a can of soy whip when I get to Whole Foods sometimes but I almost always have some canned coconut milk in the pantry for a pasta dish I make. Now I don't have to run across the city for the topping, I can make it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! You can come cook for us anytime!!!
    xo,
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, vegan whipped cream! I love using coconut milk in recipes, this one looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm salivating! Thanks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you call biscuits we call scones!

    These are plain scones, with sultanas they are - fruit scones, with grated cheese and no sugar they are - yes, cheese scones!

    A 'cream tea' is scones cut into two and on each half, butter, strawberry jam and whipped or even better, clotted cream.

    ReplyDelete