Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wilderness - Scenes around camp...

..just a few parting shots...

Our Campsite - Jicarilla (Pronounced hek-a-REH-ya)

The name “Jicarilla” means little basket and denotes an art form that made the basket makers unique. Other handicraft mastered by some tribal members are bead work, leather work, painting and pottery.
It's from the Jicarilla Apache Nation


...our little shelter in camp...

...The Prayer of the Woods...

A Scout is...

...Trustworthy...

...Loyal...

...Helpful

...Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and...

...Reverent...

...These signs were posted around camp and I intended to get to each one of them for a photograph...but alas...I did not make it...oh well...next year...

...and the Trading Post...such a draw for the boys - who all had some spending money they just couldn't wait to spend - so many pops (that's Cokes to you Southerners), knives, compasses, T-Shirts, carabiners, crafts, Merit Badge booklets, and snacks were bought there...

9 comments:

  1. My beloved Aunty Margaret lived near a large area used as a boy scout and girl guide camp, Walesby scout camp. It was on a 'heath' with pinewoods. We often went there for walks.

    In the middle of the pinewoods was an open air church. I hadn't thought about it for many years until I read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, what's a carabiner?? Really nice camp. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, it is kindof sad to leave. looks like a good time, although some of the boys look a little worn-out!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa - your comment about soda being 'coke' to us southerners. I remember being on vacation with my family when I was little, and we walked into some fast food place and my Dad ordered a Coke, and that's the term he used - so they asked him, is Pepsi alright? I had to laugh because all pop was known as Coke where I grew up in SW OH, where most of the people's ancestors came up from KY to work in the factories in the 1920's. So many came from KY that my home town of Hamilton, is sometimes known as Hamiltucky! I always got a kick out of that. I'm glad things went well as camp for you all. The area looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing your life with all of us. Take care, from KY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:48 PM

    I'm worn out just reading about your adventures this week! Don't know when you find the time to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed hearing about your camping adventures and the photos are great, too! What fun memories for all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had to smile at the 'clean'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We call them soda or cokes here in New England too:-) What a beautiful campground!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Prayer of the Woods!

    ReplyDelete