Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sprained Ankle = Extra Knitting Time

I promised I'd show you some of my knitting from all of my time with my foot propped up...

...many-many-many years ago - I knit this grey vest for my sister - and as you can see it's a little bit worse for all the wear it's gotten...

...So while I was visiting my sweet sister down south - we visited her LYS...

...and found a lovely blue grey cotton to knit the replacement sweater...

...then as soon as I got home - I got out my box of patterns and spent a couple of hours trying to find the exact same pattern I had used so many years ago - SUCCESS! I had however forgotten that the pattern was in French - I used to do a lot of knitting from French patterns...

...Well - obviously this yarn is not the same as the knubby cotton with which the original was knit - and as I neared completion of the ribbing I could see that it wouldn't be the same - notice in the original sweater - the ribbing is almost as wide as the bottom of the sweater - and not very elastic at all - well - I wanted this sweater to step seamlessly into my sister's wardrobe - as exact a copy of the original as possible...

...so I frogged that and started over with a twisted rib - I'm happier with this less elastic version...

...more progress pictures soon! What are you working on?...

10 comments:

  1. not knitting, wish I knew how!! You are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I sent it too early, I am working on Bailey's monthly onesies, then I am going to work on sewing her an outfit of some sorts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that yarn looks nice, I haven't tried that kind before! I'm working on another pair of sock in Comfort Sock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so nice!!! it's good to know that your free time (despite the unfortunate reason) is being used to create something so nice.
    i've recovered from my sprained ankle, but yesterday i got hurt in my wrist. tough luck huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how pretty!! i bet she'll love, love, love it (wink wink)

    i wonder how many photos i have of me in that vest! can't wait! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  6. The vest looks like it will be very lovely, soft - you poor dear with your ankle. Hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love that your sister loved the original vest so much she wants another one JUST like it. I hope that when I knit presents for other people, that's how they feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you still had the same pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow--knitting from French patterns, so ooh-lah-lah! I'm quite impressed. Also impressed you still have the pattern too! I am stuck on (not) knitting the orange colored wrap. I've been sewing more than anything lately, but also want to start some smaller knitting projects too, maybe some facecloths or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I recall most of my French, but reading a French pattern seems daunting. That sweater will be beautiful. You are quite talented and organized! I am working on my Handmade Holiday present/recipient list and picking one project to start on this week; some table linens to gift, and a watercolor. Let's hope some of it gets done!

    Angela (www.peachcoglo.typepad.com)

    ReplyDelete