Thursday, January 06, 2011

Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings Veganized...

...People will often ask me 'just what do you vegans eat anyway'...to which question - I usually answer 'anything we want - we just make a vegan version of it'...

...so on another cold and snowy day - with a meeting at Church I wanted a warm, hearty, make ahead supper...

...so I got out an old recipe that my Grandma had published in her local paper for Chicken and Dumplings...I just used seitan chicken for the chicken and vegan chicken bouillon for the broth...easy-peasie...

...I made my dumplings by dropping the dough by spoonfuls into the bubbling pot - the way my Mama did it - instead of cutting them in strips...

...so very good and warm...perfect for a snowy, busy winter evening...


Grandma's Old-Fashioned Vegan Chicken and Dumplings

3 or 4 Seitan Chicken Breasts
2 quarts water
1 stalk of celery cut in 2 or 3 pieces
1/4 medium onion
2 Tablespoons of Vegan Chicken Bouillon
2 Cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup shortening - I used Earth Balance
1 cup water

Boil the seitan in the water and bouillon, adding the celery and onion. Cook for about 1 and 1/2 hours until the seitan is done. Add water from time to time to have about 2 quarts broth. Remove the seitan from the broth. Strain the broth and put it back on to boil.
Mix the flour and the Earth Balance and add enough water to make a medium stiff dough. Roll out on board to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut in 3/4 inch strips. Add the stips (Or drop by teaspoonfuls) to the furiously boiling broth and boil about five mintes. Reduce heat and cook about 30 minutes more. Add the Seitan and it's ready to serve. Makes 6-8 servings.

9 comments:

  1. Love it! When I was married I received a recipe box filled with old family recipes. I have been veganizing them for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, looks just like mom made!

    grandma looks so young!!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm - I might try this out on my children. They all eat meat but I would like to have few vegetarian dishes (beyond pasta) that they would eat too.

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, that looks like great comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandma will be proud that you used her recipe. I will tell her tomorrow. It does look good. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so good! Go grandma! My Mom used to make a version of the dumpling (although she did not serve it with chicken). I need to find a way to veganize and make her recipe GF. I crave those dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chicken and dumplings! People say "you vegans" and ask such questions?! Wow. Anyway, that was my fave meal my grandma would make for me along with her sweet potato pie. I think I feel this meal coming on for tonight! We don't cut ours either! You are amazing cook. Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love dumplings. We often have them. They bubble beautifully at the top of any casserole or stew, and in soup as well I like small ones.

    ReplyDelete