Friday, January 07, 2011

...Vegan 7 Layer Taco Dip...

We went to our very last Christmas Party - the Christmas Season ends with Epiphany on January 6th...

...and I took an appetizer - it's the 7 Layer Taco Salad - a vegan version of course...

...First I made the Taco Seasoning - I used this recipe...

...First minced onion - I hope that's what they meant by instant - I'd never heard it described as instant...

...then all the other spices - I'm still loving my reorganized spice drawer...

...mix that all up and store in a jar...

...you'll only need 2 Tablespoons of the mix for this recipe...

...mix that into some vegan refried beans...I used canned but I'm sure it would be better with homemade ones...

...gather your other ingredients...or not if you're not a mise en place type person...

...spread the bean mixture on a platter...

...mix some tofutti sour cream and cream cheese and DON'T do like I did and microwave it to make it easier - it makes it too runny...

...then layer chopped lettuce...

...chopped fresh tomato...

...a layer of salsa - but this one must be combined with the tomato layer - else you'd have 8 layers...hehehe...

...a layer of daiya cheddar cheese...

...chopped green onions...

...and finally a layer of sliced black olives...

...isn't that pretty - and it was the hit of the party - Scout especially loved it...

...so the 7 Layers are:

1. Refried Beans
2. Tofutti Sour Cream mixed with Tofutti Cream Cheese
3. Chopped Lettuce
4. Fresh chopped tomatoes and Salsa
5. Daiya Cheddar Cheese
6. Chopped Green Onion
7. Sliced Black Olives

...and I'm not sure anyone even knew it was VEGAN!...

6 comments:

  1. I looove 7 layer dip! My mom used to make it and now I make a vegan version, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Scout especially loved it...

    I shall use my original accent, North Nottinghamshire. Even people living 20 miles away speak with a noticably different accent!

    Ee mi'duck, you've brung 'im up rate!

    Yes my dear, you have brought him up correctly (right).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious. I usually buy mine but it is getting rather expensive so you've inspired me to perhaps make my own :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a version of this too. Always changing the 7 layers, but it is always a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is it that I've been reading your blog all this time, and I never considered using your ingredients when I have Dad over for dinner?! WHY haven't I bought some earth balance, and made all of your yummy food for him?! That's it...time for a Xmas re-do. I'm making a big NONMEATY birthday dinner in February that will make everyone happy. We're having your chicken and noodles...I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:02 AM

    This looks so yummy!
    We tried Daiya cheese recently and it was good. Then after that we found teese and that's good too! The "mozzarella" especially.

    ReplyDelete