Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Tangzhong Bread - in the Bread Machine

I had never heard of Tangzhong Bread before I read about it on Tiffany's blog Bread without Butter...

...but I love a nice soft bread - so I knew I had to try it...

...I started by mixing up the tangzhong - which is just a paste of flour and water...I used the recipe here - just using vegan ingredients and flax seed goo for the egg...

...the tangzhong just makes a nice pudding...you refrigerate it overnight...

...then you use about half of it for one loaf...

...I put that into the bread machine first...

...then added the liquid ingredients - I used almond milk...

...and flax seed goo for the egg...

...the dry ingredients...and Earth Balance for the butter...

...turned on the machine...and let it do it's thing...

...the dough seemed a little bit wet to me - and next time I may add a little bit more flour...I still have half the tangzhong to experiment with...

...the crust was so perfect - flakey and soft...

...a closeup...

...the bread was very soft - but a little bit too 'airy' - which didn't affect the taste at all - it was delicious...

...you should try it...

7 comments:

ang said... Best Blogger Tips

That bread looks delicious!

Karen said... Best Blogger Tips

yes, that looks yummy, bring out the earth balance and orange marmalade!! love, k

Maureen said... Best Blogger Tips

It looks a lovely light bread. Just right for my fave cucumber sandwiches!

I know they are supposed to be very English tea time, but I'm the only person I know who really likes them!

VeganCraftastic said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks really interesting, I've never heard of that kind of bread.

Joyful said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing that. You piqued my interest :-)

maryamsteele said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooh, that looks delicious!
And I love your new header so much :)

Julia said... Best Blogger Tips

That bread looks really really good. Do you have to use a bread machine to make it?