Tuesday, October 25, 2011

...so...what are we doing with all that butternut squash...

...I sort of feel like it's a turnip and squash week around here...but as I love turnips and squash I'm OK with that...

...this was my super simple breakfast...leftover jasmine rice and some plain butternut squash...and by plain I really mean plain...just roasted squash...no salt or anything...oh...and I had some tea too...of course...

...then because we all wanted pumpkin pie for dessert last night...

...I made Susan Voisin's Impossible Pumpkin Pie...except I made it with Butternut squash instead of pumpkin...

...I've made it before...many times...and I've used pumpkin of course...but I've also used Hubbard and Buttercup and Butternut squashes too...

...you can't tell any difference really I don't think...it's just delicious...

...so how are you using up all your fall produce?...

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking to this recipe! It is gluten free. I'll have to make this soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butternut squash has become very popular here. However, pumpkin pie is pretty much unknown other than as an American dish on television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:05 PM

    The pie looks good. I was talking to someone at the place I purchased my squash and pumpkins. She told me that a lot of pumpkin pies are made with blue hubbards! That was news to me. Do you have any other squash recipes or turnip recipes that you enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very colorful and appetizing. We love squash pie around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that pie looks so gooey and good! mmmmm! and I think you can never have too much butternut. It stretches the grocery bill! It's o filling you can convince your husband he didn't even miss the meat at dinner! LOL.
    Love your new header too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:16 AM

    We just got some butternut squash (and have been offered a bunch more). We cut it up with apples and onions, sprinkled with a little cinnamon, some soy butter and baked it. Quite good!

    (I guess I should ask you, the vegan-extraordinaire--have any suggestions for a homemade Thanksgiving dish? I'm thinking a tofu/cranberry/nut loaf/stuffing thing. I can't find any recipes online!)

    ReplyDelete