Tuesday, October 04, 2011

...the Little White Church on the trail...

...you can sing that title to The Little Brown Church in the Dell...

...If the Scouts are camping on a Sunday...there's going to be Chapel...

...this time...we were camping in the Churchyard...of an old white prairie church...it's closed...but pretty well preserved...

...really wishing I had my good camera with me...this place was so amazing...

....their fancy wood stove...

...and an old pump organ...I didn't play it...but my fingers were itching to...

...the pulpit...

...an old Scandinavian design oil lamp chandelier...

...the altar...the early morning service here was really special...

...the scouts packed up and cleaned up for the hike out...One of the locals who was helping out with the event told us that the Church used to be a school house in Canada - the Canadian border is only about 1/2 mile away from here...and one of our patrols (the red one) was picked up by the Border Patrol for crossing into Canada by mistake...they'll really have a story to tell...the BP just loaded them into their Suburban and brought them back to the US side...with a warning...

...anywhooo...about the Schoolhouse/Church...they moved it across the fields in the winter of 1896 (I think that's what he said)...pulling it with horses on a sledge across the frozen ground...amazing...

...we hiked back to our original campsite...and packed up for the drive home...

...this is a picture of an old missile site...(remember War Games)...I wish I could have gotten closer...I'd really like to do a tour...ND used to have lots of missile silos...but I'm pretty sure they've all been dismantled...

...one more related post tomorrow...we got to tour an old homestead...it was my favorite part of the weekend...

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Reminds me of a church in Lennep, MT where my father served.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, very cool!! would have been interesting to be on the "red patrol" and hear about the "trespass" !!! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful; that church is amazing. What a wonderful trip you are having!

    ReplyDelete