Saturday, September 30, 2006

Harvest Bounty


One of the parishioners at our Church brought us a huge box of apples - they are sweet tart cooking apples a lot like the ones at my Mom's house. They were always my favorite for eating right off the tree when I was growing up. Anyway, that was last Sunday and the box was sitting around the kitchen all week, making us feel guilty for not doing anything about it. So, yesterday about 3:00 PM we started peeling apples - there must have been at least 100. By midnight we had the juice finished and about 5 quarts of peeled and quartered apples in the freezer. We just didn't have the energy to make the jelly at midnight. So first thing this morning, I started cooking the juice and sugar:

4 cups Apple juice
2 T. Lemon juice
3 Cups Sugar

Pretty simple, eh?

These are the neat and orderly rows of pretty jelly. I should have taken a photo of the chaos that was mere minutes before this picture was taken. I think every pot in the house was dirty. Oh, the apple peeler corer that you can see on the counter is the BEST invention ever. I don't know how I ever managed without it. Not to mention that it's lots of fun. The Man and the Man-Cub both had a lot of fun with it, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment