Wednesday, November 23, 2011

...Great Aunt...Grand Nephew...

...in addition to the snow...we came home to another lovely surprise...

...my nephew and his lovely wife just had their first baby...in Italy where he is stationed serving our country...(not my pics...I snagged them from facebook)...

...so I am a great aunt for the very first time...it doesn't quite seem possible that the little baby boy that I first held back in the 80s now has a little babe of his own...but so is life...

...and babies need blankets don't they...

...this was my first time using this new-to-me Bernat Premium...which they now carry at my LYS...(aka Stuff-Mart)...

...I liked it a lot...it's very soft and fuzzy...perfect for a little boy's blanket...I used my own pattern...but made it more receiving blanket sized instead of the rectangular crib size in the pattern...

...then because you can never have to many baby blankets...I knit another one using Homespun (also from my LYS)...this fuzzy loopy yarn is a little bit harder to work with...but I love it anyway because it's so soft and fuzzy...

...I knit this blanket on the diagonal like I do for the dishcloths...just increasing one stitch at the beginning of each row...I was going to do a crochet border on this one too because I was afraid the edges would curl too much...but I don't know if it's because of the heavy yarn or what...but it actually lays nice and flat...this is the stockinette stitch smooth or knit side...

...but I prefer the bumpy purl side on this blanket...

...and I'm loving this diagonal pattern...that may become my go-to baby blanket pattern...I'm going to see how it works with a thinner yarn too...

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Babies are the best blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new life is always a wonderful thing! What a super great aunt you are! Have a lovely Thanksgiving Day!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blanket for a beautiful baby boy. Congratulations to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a little sweetie, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I just became a great aunt also (no photos yet).

    ReplyDelete