Tuesday, June 04, 2013

...Blanching Almonds...

...I needed some blanched almonds for a recipe...1 1/2 cups...so I didn't want to buy the little bags of them at the grocery store...
...as I already had bags of raw organic almonds in the freezer...but they have the skins still on...

...so I poured them in a bowl...
...and covered them with water...
...and left them soaking overnight...
...then I boiled some more water...and dumped the soaked almonds in...
...and boiled them for a few minutes...until they started to float up to the top...
...transferred them to a bowl of cold water...
...and then was amazed that the skins slipped right off...
...with just a little pinch on the fat end...the perfect white little nut pops right out of its skin...
...it really only took a few minutes to 'skin' the whole bag...
...and I had right at 4 cups of perfectly blanched almonds...enough for my recipe and enough to put into the freezer to have on hand for later...

...of course tomorrow I'll show you the recipe...

~Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. How I remember doing this with my Grandma, she pretty much brought me up. It was when she was getting ready for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete