Saturday, October 02, 2010

Great Horned Owl

...Last night - during Jack's final potty break of the day (about 10:00 PM) - we were out in the yard (naturally) - when something huge swooped over our heads - we watched it fly to the top of the Church...

...so, we immediately ran inside and got the Man and a flashlight and camera - to see what it was...

...it was a Great Horned Owl - and it stayed there long enough for us to drag Scout out of bed to see it - that's one for his journal for sure - he was so excited - he's such a bird watcher you know...

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Ohh I have yet to see an owl in the wild, you guys were lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:24 AM

    Wow! How exciting! I would love to be able to see an owl like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing! I would love to see an owl - or wol as my beloved insists on calling them!

    I was in the country last weekend and I heard them hooting away. I watched out of the window but didn't see one.

    Lucky you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! I too have heard them outside at night but have never seen one at night. When I worked for the vet, a woman once brought in a small owl she found that morning on the side of the road. We hooked her up with a wildlife rescue group and they took the owl to rehab it, it was quite young and they think it may have been hit by a car. It was amazing seeing that little guy up close but I would rather see one healthy in the wild for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cool - i remember many years ago having an owl fly nearby and being amazed at how noisy it was.

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO COOl! I really hope to see one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sighting; love seeing owls, they are fabulous creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those horned owls, while a beautiful and miraculous, can scare the living daylights out of person when they come swooping down. That is awesome for Scout. My kids would love for one to swoop down in our yard. Peace, Angela

    ReplyDelete