Monday, October 04, 2010

A Walk in the Woods

Sorry so late today - I was having issues uploading photos - that almost never happens to me - so I'm trying to be patient...

...yesterday, after Church - we headed out on our annual Fall Foliage Tour - I admit we're a little bit late this year - so the colours are already past their prime - and we're even late in the day - so what colour there was didn't really photograph all that well...

...anywhooo - we drove out to Sully's Hill - and saw mostly golds and yellows and browns...

...this one though was lime green...

...that's Scout running through the crunchy leaves...

...and climbing trees - notice that he's wearing shorts - I was dressed more sensibly for the 50 degree breezy day - in jeans and a sweatshirt - he kept asking us to turn on the heat when we got back in the car...still a lot of fun though...

...oooh - orange - I forgot about orange...

...we saw some elk...

...these two young ones - they are probably the same ones we see every time we come here...

...some buffalo resting in the late afternoon sun...

...more yellows...

...another young elk...

...and then the Big Daddy Elk...

...sweet little prairie dogs - not happy with us - barking their little heads off...

...the pretty road we were driving on...

...I love the canopy of trees here - trees are somewhat of a novelty here on the plains...makes me think of the mountains back home in NC...

...a view of the lake...

...a swampy marshy area - pretty much in the shade too...

...and finally on the way out of the park - some neat rows of hay bales in the late afternoon sun...

10 comments:

  1. Pretty tour of your fall foliage. Sully's Hill brings back memories. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous to death! Elk, buffalo and those sweet little prairie dogs, we have none of them here. I love the big imposing animals, our biggest is one of the deer. We only see the small ones in the wild in this area.

    The snakes will soon be heading back under your garage. No photos of them streaking across your garden this year!


    When I learned that snakes lived in holes I imagined them stretched out in long thin holes - but I bet they curl up in more rounded residences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:09 PM

    WOW! I would love to visit your "neck of the woods". Buffalo and Elk-- My hubby would be in paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh - what a pretty, pretty drive!
    and our fall has gone very early and quick, too. the prettiest week for color was very cold and rainy . . .
    but the sun through the branches and sparse leaves today is gorgeous!

    i love the road with the canopy! makes me think of stories . . .

    hugs to you, my almost neighbor. :)
    ~E

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful photos. My son was trying to decide where you live based on the fact that your trees have changed already & the animals you spotted. Our leaves are just starting to change in Chicagoland :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I think all your photos are lovely and capture the real essence of autumn along with all the wonderful wildlife. I never see wildlife, even when I'm in the bush, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful... what a nice trip! So great to see the wildlife and scenery in your area...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen a prairie dog before! I think the foliage turned early for alot of states. What a great place for a nature walk. That daddy elk is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a walking, climbing and playing in the woods this time of year! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! I loved the wildlife photos, makes me miss Coloraso what with elk and prairie dogs and buffalo. Looks like you are enjoying the change in season for sure.

    ReplyDelete