Tuesday, November 30, 2010

...Decorating Snacks...

...well, that's done...

...and...we needed some snacks for the all-day-long event that is our tree/house decorating day...

...so I made a cheeze ball that I first saw over at Patricia's blog Knitsburgh and the recipe is from My Vegan Cookbook (which was a new vegan site for me - Thanks Patty!) - but I made the Original Cheeze Ball instead of the smokey one...

...are you a 'mise en place' cook - or do you throw everthing in as you come to it...it's been my experience with Julia's recipes from The Vegan Version - that it's best to read the entire recipe and get everything together up front...and it's fun...I love the little bowls...and having everything ready to go...

...and Man-Oh-Man! I wish I could tell you how good this cheeze ball is...I can't wait to try the smokey one now...

...so very, very good...try it!...

...then, I tried to recreate a snack that my friend Lucy from NC used to make - it was a packet of Ranch dressing mix with some oil - drizzled over oyster crackers and baked - now I've not had it in many years - but here's what I did:

Vegan Dry Ranch Mix:
2 T dry soymilk powder
1 t parsley
1/4 t dill weed
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t salt
1/8 t garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper

Then I mixed that with about 1/4 cup of oil.

...drizzle that over the crackers...

...stir them up...

...bake at 250⁰ for about 1/2 hour - stirring a couple of times...

...these were really good and 'handy' - adjust the garlic to your own taste as the Man thought they were too garlicky...HA!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:15 PM

    That looks delicious! I wonder if we can get teensy gluten-free crackers like that?

    How do you make house decorating last all day? I put up the tree lights and then my kids had the ornaments up in half and hour! It's was too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't be - too - garlic-y!!!

    i'm going to try that!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cheeze ball looks great! Perfect for a holiday party for Christmas tree decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:26 PM

    That cheeze ball looks perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, cheeseball.
    Gotta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I want to try the version you made too! I definately throw stuff together as I go, in a very scary unorganized tornado of chaos fashion. Thanks for the recipe for the oyster crackers, I love those things and a while ago I tried to make some and they were ok but I didn't write down what I did. I bet your recipe will be a big improvement on my attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet mama you are. We almost never seem to have a whole day at home to do our decorating so it's been chopped up. I love that you intentionally make up some snacks. I'll have to make some special snacks for my wee ones. Thanks for the idea.
    xo Ang

    ReplyDelete