Tuesday, November 30, 2010

...Decorating Snacks...

...well, that's done...

...and...we needed some snacks for the all-day-long event that is our tree/house decorating day...

...so I made a cheeze ball that I first saw over at Patricia's blog Knitsburgh and the recipe is from My Vegan Cookbook (which was a new vegan site for me - Thanks Patty!) - but I made the Original Cheeze Ball instead of the smokey one...

...are you a 'mise en place' cook - or do you throw everthing in as you come to it...it's been my experience with Julia's recipes from The Vegan Version - that it's best to read the entire recipe and get everything together up front...and it's fun...I love the little bowls...and having everything ready to go...

...and Man-Oh-Man! I wish I could tell you how good this cheeze ball is...I can't wait to try the smokey one now...

...so very, very good...try it!...

...then, I tried to recreate a snack that my friend Lucy from NC used to make - it was a packet of Ranch dressing mix with some oil - drizzled over oyster crackers and baked - now I've not had it in many years - but here's what I did:

Vegan Dry Ranch Mix:
2 T dry soymilk powder
1 t parsley
1/4 t dill weed
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t salt
1/8 t garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper

Then I mixed that with about 1/4 cup of oil.

...drizzle that over the crackers...

...stir them up...

...bake at 250⁰ for about 1/2 hour - stirring a couple of times...

...these were really good and 'handy' - adjust the garlic to your own taste as the Man thought they were too garlicky...HA!

8 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I wonder if we can get teensy gluten-free crackers like that?

    How do you make house decorating last all day? I put up the tree lights and then my kids had the ornaments up in half and hour! It's was too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't be - too - garlic-y!!!

    i'm going to try that!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cheeze ball looks great! Perfect for a holiday party for Christmas tree decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cheeze ball looks perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, cheeseball.
    Gotta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I want to try the version you made too! I definately throw stuff together as I go, in a very scary unorganized tornado of chaos fashion. Thanks for the recipe for the oyster crackers, I love those things and a while ago I tried to make some and they were ok but I didn't write down what I did. I bet your recipe will be a big improvement on my attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet mama you are. We almost never seem to have a whole day at home to do our decorating so it's been chopped up. I love that you intentionally make up some snacks. I'll have to make some special snacks for my wee ones. Thanks for the idea.
    xo Ang

    ReplyDelete