Friday, April 01, 2011

Vegan Deviled Eggs...

...A perfect 'HaHa Fooled You!' for April Fool's Day...

...we had so much fun with this...

...we wanted to fill our little 'egg' tray so we needed to make 6 whole hard boiled 'eggs' to cut in half...so I washed 6 of Scout's plastic Easter Eggs...

...put some Agar powder in some water to soak for a few minutes...

...this time I used just the Wildwood Creamer as it's so pretty and white...almond milk or soymilk either one has a little bit of a brown colour to it...Just cook the Creamer with a little bit of flour...and then add the agar goop and cook a little bit longer - it's still not very thick when you're ready to pour it into your molds - but it will set up quite firm...

...I just microwaved a medium sized potato and passed it through a ricer so that it would be easy to pipe - but you could just mash it up and use a spoon to put it back into your 'egg whites'...

...mix the potatoes with a little bit of turmeric and mustard powder until they are nice and yellow...

...then form them into little balls about 1 inch across...

...fill your little egg molds almost full with the 'egg white'...and pop in one of your 'yolks'...then spoon on a little more of the 'white' - it's ok if it overflows a little bit when you close them up...mine did too...sort of messy - but it rinses right off...

...Now - the fun part!...when they've set up - you break open the 'egg' - this was so much fun...and so very much like opening a real egg...these little camouflaged plastic eggs open on the side and that was neat - I may get a set of side opening eggs on clearance after Easter if I can find them - they were just a little bit easier to work with than the top opening ones...

...anywhooo...you 'break open' your 'egg' and out pops this perfect firm little vegan hard boiled egg...Perfect!...

...aren't they CUTE!...

...just slice them in half to reveal the 'yolk' in the middle...

...then scoop the yolk out and put it into a bowl with some Vegenaise and regular prepared mustard...and mix that all together...

...spoon it into your little icing piper thingy...

...and pipe a little blob on the 'egg white' - or alternately just spoon a little dollop back onto the 'egg white'...

...and there you have it...

...Vegan Deviled Eggs...

...TA DAAA!...

Vegan Hard Boiled 'Eggs'

For the 'egg'-white:
Mix 2 teaspoons of agar agar powder in a couple of Tablespoons of water and let stand for 5 minutes. In a small saucepan mix together 1 cup soy creamer (it makes a very white egg white) and 2 Tablespoons flour. Cook for a few minutes - it makes a sort of gravy - it should just coat a spoon - not too thick. Then stir in the agar and water mixture and cook for a minute more.

For the 'egg'-yolk:
Cook a medium sized potato. I just microwaved mine but any way you want to cook it is probably OK - if you're boiling it don't peel it first - you want it to be kinda dry. Once it's done I ran it through a ricer as I wanted the resulting 'egg yolk' to be fine enough to be piped then I mixed it with a little bit of turmeric - just a sprinkle and a sprinkle of mustard powder as well - just until it's the colour you want. Form it into little balls about 1 inch across.

To assemble:
Pour a couple of spoonfuls of the 'egg'-white mixture into a mold - we used plastic Easter eggs - just fill both halves almost full then plop your 'egg'-yolk in the middle and then spoon on a little bit more of the 'egg'-white mixture - and then carefully close the egg mold - leave it to set up - it will get quite firm. You can see more of the process on the Poached Eggs post here...I just made the 'egg'-whites firmer for these hard boiled ones...

Vegan Deviled Eggs

Once the eggs have set up - slice them in half and scoop out the 'egg yolk'. Put that in a bowl and add some Vegenaise and some prepared mustard and some salt and pepper...that's all there is to it...just mix that up and put it into your piping squirter - or you could just spoon some back on top of the egg whites...

26 comments:

  1. Awesome! I was planning to try the fake eggs for Easter to surprise my hubby. I haven't breathed a word about this to him as I want it to be a big surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure genius. I don't really like deviled eggs, but I bet I'd like these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say it is impossible to tell these from real eggs! So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these!!! You are SO talented!! They are PERFECT! Have a super weekend!☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, that is just too cool! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look just like eggs! I'm sure that they taste better and they are much healthier! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Maria RoseOh DO! and take some pictures - it'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @IndianaloriThese were fun! and so similar it was freaky...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @KarenThanks K, it was fun! you know how I like to play with my food...

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  10. @VeggieAmandaThanks Amanda! it was fun...and I love your new profile pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just thinking of doing a vegan deviled egg! Your eggs are very realistic- were people fooled when they ate them? Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What about the paprika on top!? LOL! Those are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @VegSpinzThanks so much! They sure were fun - we're going to do them again for Easter! It was just the 3 of us and we of course knew they were vegan - but they definitely have the texture and taste down...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @* elizabeth *Perfect! I can't believe I forgot that...we'll do them again for Easter and I'll be sure to add paprika - My Mom always did!...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:00 AM

    This is awesome! I was a huge deviled egg lover back in the day. I have got to stop putting off buying Agar powder..

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so amazing! It looks almost perfect. Good job on the creation of such an unique and creative solution to vegan hard boiled eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is utterly fabulous and pure genious. I am bookmarking this to make for sure in the near future for my vegan diners. I just need to get some of those moulds now, saw some at reduced price in the supermarkets, hope there are still some there when I go nxt time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only thing missing here is black salt. It tastes just like eggs. Thanks for the idea of potatoes for the yolk. I was looking for the perfect texture. This could be it. Oh yeah, you need to get a Jello egg mold. You won't lose your filling putting the eggs together since they are already together. Just pour the white mixture into the top, let sit til set up. Open them up and make well with a melon baller and fill with your potato mixture. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The only thing missing here is black salt. It tastes just like eggs. Thanks for the idea of potatoes for the yolk. I was looking for the perfect texture. This could be it. Oh yeah, you need to get a Jello egg mold. You won't lose your filling putting the eggs together since they are already together. Just pour the white mixture into the top, let sit til set up. Open them up and make well with a melon baller and fill with your potato mixture. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Grammy

    Thanks Grammy! those jello molds are a good idea!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    Affectioknit-ly,

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi I was wondering if instead of agar could I use "Unflavored Vegan Jel by Natural Desserts"? if so how much do you think I would need?

    Thank you,
    DA

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Unknown
    Thanks for stopping by...I've never tried that type of jel...so I'm not sure how much to use...I'd say go ahead and try it just base how much you'd used based on their directions...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete