Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tiered Skirt Tutorial

Skirt...Check...✓


...the Easter skirt is complete...

...I started with the waistband...I just turned down about 1 1/2 inches from the top and inserted some 1 inch elastic...

...so that's the little first section...

The formula I used (graphical image here):

First decide on the length of each tier - mine are 10 - 16 and 10...

Then...
1. Measure hips - add two inches - divide by two and cut two pieces of fabric to that size...
2. Then add 1/3 more for the next tier...
3. ...and 1/3 more for the next tier...I only had three but you could do more...


...gather your next tier...

...and pin it right sides together to the bottom of the first tier...

...matching up your side seams...

...this is what it looks like with 2 tiers completed...I tried it on and it would actually be a pretty cute skirt just hemmed at this point...

...on the bottom tier - I went ahead and did a serged hem before I gathered it...

...this is the back side of the serged hem - it's actually been serged twice - which was totally unnecessary - but I had already serged around all the pieces...

...and this is my little 'trick' for the gathers...

...I adjust the tension on the top thread so that gathers form...what could be easier...HA!

...Ta-Daaa! - the finished skirt...really easy...it only took about an hour...

...shown here with the Amity...I can't show you the A-Line Cardigan yet...as I'm currently working on the collar...hoping to finish before midnight...

11 comments:

  1. Hey, great skirt! I love the three tiers, but I think you're right about the two, that shape is very flattering.

    I was wearing my tiered skirt yeaterday - we are having a little heatwave. So comfortable to wear and they look good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the skirt! You are going to look adorable. Good luck finishing the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute Easter skirt! You did a great job! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I hope you'll model the entire ensemble for us ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stopped by to say, "Happy Easter!" I thought the skirt looked very cute. Will we get to see pictures of you in the total outfit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I keep meaning to make that skirt for my girls. It looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! Hope your Resurrection Sunday was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome. I love your gathering trick too-so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!! I love that your whole ensemble is made by you!

    ReplyDelete