Monday, April 04, 2011

Vegan Tofu Bacon

...I was thrilled to get these goodies...at my regular little small town grocery...so YAY!...

...I know you probably don't understand my excitement...but goodies like this usually only come from a trip to Grand Forks - 90 miles away...so I'm hoping that there is enough of a market here for organic tofu and veggies that the grocery store will continue to stock them...

...so I just sliced up some tofu and brushed it with a little bit of liquid smoke...

...and just sautéed it in a little bit of oil until golden brown...then sprinkled on some soy sauce...

...so that I could make one of my favorite sammies ever...a V.L.T.

...that's Vegan Tofu Bacon...Lettuce...and Tomato...

...so very delicious...

...a Perfect Monday (or anyday) Lunch...

17 comments:

  1. I learn so many new recipes from you! Thank you and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very good. Let's hope you can eat enough tofu to keep the supply coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I know your excitement, when I lived with my parents in a small town in Northern Minnesota it was a huge deal when the local grocery store started carrying tofu :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:43 PM

    Hey, I just found a driving distance calculator for my city to Grand Forks (I assume you meant the one in BC) and it's 127 miles away, so that means we're only 217 miles away from each other!!!
    Funny that you should have to drive to Canada for your nearest health foods. :o)
    Sandwich looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I'm a new follower. I'm Maria's Mom (from http://littlethingsarebig.com) and she told me to look for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum, i'm hungry!! bring some over, OK? lol

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look like bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @TraceyThanks Tracey! This sandwich is one of my favorite things...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @MaureenThanks Maureen! I know - I'm thinking if there is any tofu left at the week end I'll buy it all...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @VeganCraftasticThanks Kala! They do carry the silken time - I guess because of the longer shelf life - but I'm thrilled with the firm tofu and hope they continue to carry it!...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @nicolaknitsHi Nicola! Sadly it's not in BC - it's in North Dakota - I'm wishing it was BC - then we could do a meet up for sure!...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Susan SHi Susan! and Welcome to Affectioknit! It's so nice to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @KarenOh how I wish I could! We'll still be eating grocery store tomatoes in June too - so you'll have to bring some homegrown ones....

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks rather yummy. I am intrigued by 'liquid smoke'. Do you make this yourself or can you buy it? Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to try this! Funnily enough I bought some liquid smoke the other day thinking that it might come in useful for something. Thank you again for a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete