Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Vegan Alfredo

We did finally get around to making the Vegan Alfredo and we loved it. The Man-Cub said that it looked just the 'restaurant alfredo' - and he was right - more importantly - it tasted just like the restaurant stuff. Next time, I'll use the lower end amounts of salt and garlic, but it was very rich and tasty.


I did leave out the nutritional yeast as the Man hates it - I can't figure out why - next time he's away on a trip I'll make this for the Man-Cub and myself and we'll try it that way too - hehe. And I used homemade soymilk without any sugar (I usually add sugar to my soymilk so I made some special for this recipe).

This is also posted over at
http://vegancookalong.blogspot.com/.

Here's the recipe - it was really good - you should try it - you'll be surprised...

Vegan Alfredo Sauce

1/2c Earth Balance
2 cups unsweetened soymilk, with 3 tbsp set aside for the arrowroot powder
1 package Mori-Nu extra firm silken tofu
1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar (because I never have wine in the house...)
2 tbsp onion powder
2-3 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsp sea salt
1-2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup Red Star nutritional yeast
2 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch powder, dissolved in the 3 tbsp reserved soy milk

Combine all of the ingredients, except for the dissolved arrowroot powder, in a blender and mix on high until throughly combined. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Whisk in arrowroot mixture and reduce heat to medium-low, whisking constantly to ensure no lumps form. Serve warm.

Note: If you have any leftover sauce, you may need to thin it with a little soy milk when reheating it.

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds very tasty. I don't think I have ever tried to make alfredo, but I do like the regular version at restaurants. E

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is really good - as good as the restaurant versions - but go with the low side of the garlic and salt...

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete