Thursday, January 30, 2020

...Afternoon Tea...

....my bestie from college and I went to Durham's Washington Duke Inn for Afternoon Tea...

...we had been trying to find a time to go since before Christmas...around Christmastime...they are completely booked...so we decided on today...mid-week in late January...and it was perfect...

...when we were at university together we often used to go to the High Tea Cafe on Wall Street...I just love the internet sometimes...I found this really neat article about Wall Streetback in the day...and it had these pictures...
...this is what Wall Street used to look like...back in the day...it's also where The Laughing Seed restaurant is...
...a random couple having tea outside...we did that too sometimes...but mostly indoors...
...an ad from the newspaper listing the High Tea Cafe...
...and a poster encouraging people to shop on Wall Street...and another random fact...the jeweler on this poster is where I got the Man's second wedding ring after he lost the one we were married with...haha...

...and now...back to the present...
...we drove nearly 2 hours to get to the Inn...but they were ready for us when we arrived...
...as soon as we ordered our tea...Earl Greyer for me...of course...and Amy chose the Cherry green tea...I thought about trying something new...but in the end I decided to go with what I love...

...that's my little pot of Earl Grey and a little pitcher of almond milk...because I take my tea with milk...and the basket contains some vegan scones...blueberry and walnut...they were so crumbly and delicious...
...and then they brought the tea trays...well...mine was a plate...you have to have a reservation and when we called we asked them about vegan options and they said it was no problem at all...
...and they weren't just whistlin' Dixie...my plate had a vegan version of everything...starting with savouries at the top...
- sweet potato/basil/spinach bruschetta
- a little cucumber sandwich
- a crostini topped with tomato chow-chow and arugula

...my mid tier was:
- fresh fruit
- a little tray with coconut cream
- and a puff pastry filled with lentils and butternut squash

...and the dessert tier was...
- strawberry panna cotta
- a little raspberry filled torte
- and a chunk of vegan honeycomb...like the one here if you're not familiar with it...it's a type of toffee...
...and I even ate the candied orange garnish...it tasted just like the orange wedges that we used to get at Easter-time...

...now I know those little bits don't look like a lot of food...but combined with three pots of Earl Grey...I was so stuffed...

...we had so much fun...and we're definitely going to do it again...

~Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the high tea that Miranda arranged many years ago at the Washington Duke Inn!!! It was Miranda, myself and her mother. I agree, those little bites don't look like much, but it adds up to way too much! Glad you enjoyed. Love, K

    ReplyDelete