Friday, September 07, 2007

French Dressing

I remember a really long time ago - someone brought a salad to a church supper - dressed with a wonderful rich French dressing - so of course I asked about it and all I can remember is that she said she made it with Tomato Soup.

So being the adventurous person that I am - and thinking that I can make anything - I opened a can ...NOT of tomato soup but of the organic tomatos that our grocery carries...


and got started.

I strained most of the juice off the tomatos and drank that - it was very salty - I wish they had a "no salt" version of the organic tomatos...

Here's what I did - it's delicious and as far as I can tell - it's fat free too...

French Dressing

1 can organic diced tomatos - drained and blended


Add:
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Whisk together...

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy:)

    Hope it's ok if I make a few suggestions, though...As a true French girl; I would suggest you use red wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar (that's ok, even if you're vegan , right?) and add maybe 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard, some finely chopped parsley and garlic (1-2 cloves).

    Most likely there should also be some oil in that dressing; in my family we've always used sunflower oil; the normal ratio is twice as much oil as vinegar.

    But to be honest (and because I LOVE vinegar) I usually do not follow that exact ratio;) I often use twice the vinegar compared to the oil, which makes my mom cringe... but not as much as me being a vegetarian! Thank heaven I live in a different country and especially...NOT in carnivorous France anymore:)

    All the best,

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christina - I'll try it your way too.

    ReplyDelete