Thursday, September 20, 2007

Stump Lake Village

We took the Man-Cub on a nice early fall day to see Stump Lake Village - it's a 'made-up' village - none of the buildings is original to the site - they were all moved there from somewhere else. Still it's a nice 'living' museum - this was the last day they were going to be open for the season and people were dressed in period costume. Sorry Mom - we can't take you there - but I promise after all these photographs - you'll feel like you've been there already...

We had loads of fun and then when we got ready to leave - I realized that I had locked the keys in the car - OH NO! - that has never happened to me before - but I took my money out of my purse - (after I had put the keys in it of course) and got my camera and locked the car. I'm thankful that I didn't realize it sooner as it would have ruined my day - The sherriff and two nice men stopped to help - after about 1 hour of trying - one of the helpers (not the sherriff with his special tools) managed to pop the door open. I'm hoping that it's not the only thing the Man-Cub remembers about the day...


The beautiful church windows.
The Altar.
One of many pump organs - some in working condition. Did I ever mention that at one of the nursing homes where I visit - they have a working pump organ - and I've played it. Our dentist also has a completely re-furbished one in her home - she says it's her children's inheritence.
Another pump organ.
The Man-Cub found a swingset outside the school building.
The closet library in the school building.
The one room schoolhouse.
The Michigan depot - when we first moved here and people would talk about going to Michigan - I thought they meant the state - it was much later that I realized there was a little town called Michigan...
A caboose - not red.
Inside the depot -
A polished stove inside the depot.
The ticket window.
A one room log cabin - log cabins are not as plentiful as they are in the mountains where I'm from - for obvious reasons - very few trees here...
A dragseng (drawbed) in the cabin - it appears to be adult sized. I googled for dragseng without success - the placard only says where it came from.
A cupboard in the cabin.
The cookstove - sort of reminds me of Mama Goode's...
The table and tinware.
This is the kitchen of a larger 4 room cabin that apparently I didn't take a picture of the outside.
One of the upstairs bedrooms of the larger cabin.
The other bedroom.
The parade.
The pretty kitchen of the white clapboard house.
Kitchen table with the pearlescent dishes like Nanny used to have.
Grandma used to have a cabinet like this one.
The farmhouse sink.

Another pump organ - this must have been the parsonage - haha.
A child's room upstairs.
The altarpiece of another church - Norwegian Lutheran of course.
The post office.
Threshing machines - fascinating.
Plowing the old fashioned way.
A different - probably 'new-fangled' type of plow. It was interesting that just after this picture was taken - the man on this plow overturned.
A hayride.
Hauling wheat to the threshers.
Baling hay.
Husking corn.
The steam tractor that drives the sawmill.
The mill chutes.
The grain cleaners - upstairs in the mill.
The millhand's kitchen.
Sawing logs - this was probably the Man-Cub's favorite.
The draft horses.
Tightening the belts on the threshers.
Threshing.

1 comment:

  1. hey - even i feel like i've been there now!!

    sorry you suffered thru the key incident - i now refuse to lock my car with the button on the door. i only use my automatic key - that way i know i'll never lock myself out.

    you mentioned that grandma had a particular cabinet - i believe that may be the "hoosier" cabinet that i got from her years ago and re-finished. it's the one with the flour sifter and enamel steel counter top. it's in the basement now - needs another re-finish now, i suppose!

    mom and frank should be there soon - have fun! (and post lot's of photos of them for us!!)

    love, k

    ReplyDelete