Sunday, June 08, 2008

Mauled

The Man-Cub was mauled by a black lab while we were at the park yesterday. It was so strange - it's one of those situations that really only lasted about 30 seconds but they seem to have lasted a lot longer. We had seen the owners come with their dog and take him off his leash - they were throwing a stick into the pond and he was retrieving it - just like we used to play with Duke at the river. We wanted to get back in time for Family Swim at the pool - so we left when we heard the Church Bells chime 5 o'clock - crossed the bridge and started up the path. We were about 30 feet or so from the pond - when we saw the dog come bounding out of the water - so of course we thought he was coming to play fetch - like Duke would have - then in a split second I realized that he was in attack mode instead - and before I could react - he had jumped on the Man-Cub and had his upper arm in his mouth - growling and biting - so of course I started kicking and hitting the dog and screaming for the owners - who came running and tried to catch the dog - he was having none of that though - I managed to wrench my bleeding and crying child away from the dog and get him behind me as I still tried to fend off the circling and attacking dog - the male owner managed to catch the dog and wrestle him to the ground - the Man-Cub and I ran back up the path to our car - so instead of a fun evening at the pool - we spent the evening in the ER - the owners have been very responsible - even meeting us in the ER.

The Man-Cub wanted me to post pictures - so here you go - it's nothing gory...


He was pretty traumatized - and I guess that will stay with him for a long time - maybe forever. The owners said that the dog has been harrassed by the neighbors children - but had never attacked anyone - Well now what - could you ever trust the dog again - and what about the neighbors children???

6 comments:

  1. wow, so sorry for the boy - that is truly terrible. i'm glad the owners are being responsible - hate to say it, but i'm not a big fan of allowing dogs any freedom whatsoever if they've done something like this. it's just too easy for a dog like this to grab onto a much smaller child and the result could be even more tragic. certainly hope this was reported to the local animal control. good luck and hope the man-cub sees it as an isolated event....love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey K,
    He's doing fine now - he's talked through it several times and I think that helps him process - he said he had a nightmare about it last night - I guess he might again too. They called the police from the ER and the owner was cited for a leash law violation and for a dog nuisance violation - the dog is now quarantined for 10 days with the K-9 police officer checking every day for any signs of disease. I feel bad for them too - I know how people love their dogs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look like a bad bruise and injury. He sounded like he was doing OK but I'm sure it will change how he sees other dogs. He's a brave boy. E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:29 PM

    Yeah - a bad experience for you and Man Cub and also the dog's owners...and presumably for the dog too. It's obviously not usually for a dog to suddenly attack a person. I assume it had already had it's Rabies shots though, so it just might be a trauma issue resulting from the neighbor's kids. Children can be extremely cruel to animals without realizing the implications (of course adults can,too, but they should know better.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I can't even imagine. We own two dogs one is a lab and the other is a lab/border collie mix and I would be MORTIFIED if that happened but there must be something else going on with that dog for him to just come out of the blue and attack your poor son. I hope everything heals ok outward and inward :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words - the dog's owners have been very responsible - and I truly do feel badly for them as well. The dog and the Man-Cub had both had all of their shots. We changed the Man-Cub's dressings yesterday and I think he's a little more comfortable now - it's very bruised and sore - I'll post an update on his reaction the next time we meet a large dog - my reaction will likely have changed too - not to fear - but I'll definitely be more wary...

    ReplyDelete