Friday, September 13, 2013

...Vegan Poached Eggs...

...I made my Vegan Poached Eggs again...I needed them to stuff into another cheese soufflé...and I had sort of forgotten how much fun they are to make...and eat...

...I've made them before over at The Vegan Version...but I didn't really post a recipe...and I've made the 'hard boiled' version a couple of times too...
...so I mixed up the creamy white...it looks like gravy at this point...or maybe a sauce bechamel...but it will firm up into some jiggly egg whites in a little bit...
...then I made the yolks by mashing a small potato...
...mixed in some mustard powder for the yellow colour and some Kala Namak (black salt) for the sulfur-y taste of egg yolk...
...rolled them into little balls...
...poured a little bit of the 'egg white' mixture on a spoon...my preferred mold for poached eggs...and plopped a little ball of vegan 'egg yolk' in the center...
...then spooned over a little bit more of the vegan 'egg white'...see how it's starting to set up already...
...when set...they should be sort of jiggly to the touch...like jello...
...they look quite 'real'...don't ya think?...

Vegan 'egg'-white:

2 tsp agar agar powder
2 Tbsp water
1 cup soy creamer
2 Tbsp flour

Mix the agar agar powder with the water and let stand for a few minutes. Then, in a small saucepan mix together the soy creamer and flour. Cook for a few minutes - it makes a sort of gravy - it should just coat a spoon - not too thick. Then stir in the agar and water mixture and cook for a minute more.

For the 'egg'-yolk:

1 small potato
1/8 tsp Kala Namak
1/8 tsp dry mustard


Cook the potato. I just microwaved mine but any way you want to cook it is probably OK - if you're boiling it don't peel it first - you want it to be kinda dry. Mash well and add the black salt and the mustard. Form into little balls about 1 inch across.

To assemble:

Pour a couple of spoonfuls of the 'egg'-white mixture into a mold - I used some large spoons for these 'poached eggs', then plop your 'egg'-yolk in the middle and then spoon on a little bit more of the 'egg'-white mixture. Allow the vegan 'egg' to set up a bit it will get firmer as it cools but as a poached egg should still be a bit wiggly...not really firm like a hard boiled egg.

4 comments:

  1. They really do look like eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! Love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so fascinated every time you post about this! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete