Monday, September 08, 2014

...Make your own English Muffins...

...so did you know that you could easily make your own English Muffins...

...I sometimes make these on Saturday and then they last us for breakfast all week...

...I actually thought that I'd shared this before...but a quick search told me that I had not...
...mix your yeast with warm (110°) water...and let it dissolve and get a little bit foamy...I use bulk bread machine yeast...so this is a good check that it's still viable...but regular yeast packets will work too...you'll only need one...
...then I add Coconut Oil...I like the refined kind as it has no taste...
...and it melts easily into the warm water...
...then add the flour...
...and stir with a wooden spoon until it leaves the side of the bowl...
...knead a few times...10-15...I usually do this right in the bowl...
...then roll it out about 1/2" thick on a floured surface...
...and cut into circles...I use a 3 1/2" tin can with both ends cut out...and it makes a nice size muffin...
...sprinkle some corn meal on an ungreased baking tray...
...and put your muffins to rise in a warm place...I put mine in the oven with the light on...
...about an hour later they are pouffy and ready to 'bake'...
...heat a dry skillet to about medium and put the muffins in cornmeal side down...
...don't crowd them in the pan...and I usually give them a little half twist...just to make sure they brown evenly on the bottom...
...then flip them over and 'bake' the tops...
...this recipe will make about a dozen muffins...nicely browned bottoms...
...and tops...
...then I store them in a bag in the fridge...and when we're ready to toast them...we split them open with a fork...
...revealing the bubbly knobby-ness that is indicative of a good English Muffin...
...and toast them nice and crispy brown and serve with jam or jelly...

...want to know why they're called English Muffins...

Wikipedia says...

'The term "English muffin" is most commonly used in North America to distinguish between this savory bread and the more common sweet cake-like muffin, which are sometimes known as "American muffins". '

Vegan English Muffins

1 pkt yeast or 2 tsp
1 cup warm water (110°F/43°C)
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 cups flour
2 T sugar
Cornmeal for sprinkling on the rising pag

Mix yeast with warm (110°) water and let it dissolve and get a little bit foamy. Add Coconut Oil and stir it in until melted. Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until it leaves the sides of the bowl. Knead a few times and roll it out about 1/2" thick on a floured surface, Cut into 3 1/2 inch circles. Sprinkle some corn meal on an ungreased baking tray and put your muffins to rise in a warm draft free place for about an hour. Heat a dry skillet to about medium and put the muffins in cornmeal side down, don't crowd them in the pan. When brown flip them over and 'bake' the tops.

~Have a lovely day!

6 comments:

  1. These look delicious. This style of muffin was not eaten where I came from but what we called 'pike lets' but in other regions of the country called 'crumpets'.

    http://britishfood.about.com/od/eorecipes/r/Recipe-Traditional-English-Crumpets.htm

    I've never made them as they were always bought, but it doesn't look difficult. They are toasted before buttering and eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word is 'pikelet', the computer changed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. who knew?!? gotta share your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how neat - i'd never thought about how they'd be made!! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful! I buy the GF kind, but I really wish I made them. I should try and make your recipe GF bc they look amazing. And cheaper than what I buy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! I've always wanted to try to make English muffins at home. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete