Friday, September 16, 2016

...Make your own tortillas...

...this is another one of those things (like English Muffins) that you can make for yourself quite simply...
...Just mix together:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons oil (I used corn oil)

...with just a few ingredients...and you can pronounce all of them...
...knead your dough...
...until it's smooth and elastic...
...I don't have a tortilla press...so I use my handy-dandy pie crust helper...which is really just one of those big 2 gallon zip lock bags cut open...
...it works perfectly...
...I can roll them really thinly...without adding any additional flour...
..then I just wipe a very thin layer of oil on my cast iron pan...
...and start frying tortillas...when they bubble up...
...and start to get little brown spots on them...it's time to turn them over...
...then just cook the other side...
...until it has little brown spots on it as well...
...then I put them under a couple of layers of clean kitchen towel...to steam a little bit and get nice and soft...just like when we made lefse...
...then we needed some...Oooey Gooey Melty Stretchy Nacho Cheese to go with them...

...So I used It doesn't taste like chicken's recipe...
...and I just started with my Cashew Cream as the proportions are very similar...and added the rest of the ingredients...
...whisked it all together...
...and started cooking it...

...it really is an amazing process the way it goes from a clumpy mess...
...to glossy smooth perfect cheese...
...the perfect topping for our homemade tortillas...
...just spread on half...and fold over...and cook until warmed through...and a few more brown spots appear on the tortilla...you can also add some Earth Balance for some buttery-ness if you want...
...served with some salsa and some Almond Meal Cream Cheese...to which I stirred in a couple of spoonfuls of cashew cream to make it like sour cream...it was perfect...
...look at that gooeyness...
...the perfect snack...

...what have you been snacking on?...and have you ever made tortillas?

~Wishing you a lovely start to your weekend...

2 comments:

  1. that is amazing!! i've never thought of making my own....i don't know why not!! and all the gooey goodness looks fabulous!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete