Wednesday, March 01, 2017

...Company Food Prep...

...Hello Everyone!

...Happy March 1st...Did it come like a lamb or a lion for you?...so far ours has been pretty lamb-like I guess...just a regular chilly March spring day...

...kind of in keeping with the batch cooking post from yesterday...I wanted to get a few things ready before Mom and Frank stopped by for a visit on their way home...

...mainly snack-y things...
...first up...I wanted to try again to make some edible fat free tortilla chips from corn tortillas...so I got out some corn tortillas (obv)...and some salt and fresh lime juice...

...now I say edible because I've tried this in the past...and wound up with chips that would either break your teeth or were too rubbery to chew...
...I first brushed each tortilla with the lime juice...and gave it a sprinkle of salt...
...then I stacked them up...and used my pizza cutter to cut them into triangular chips...
...then just spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet...
...then I let them cool on the baking sheet and put them in a ziplock baggie 'til tomorrow...

...then it was time for some nacho dip...and I had saved the recipe for Cashew-less Vegan Queso from the Minimalist Baker...
...and it's based on...you guessed it...EGGPLANT...
...so I roasted some eggplant...
...and steamed it in foil...
...the recipe calls for 1 cup...and my medium eggplant barely produced that much...
...but I just followed the recipe and blended it up with the nooch and spices...and added some salsa...
...and gave it a quick taste test...

...and then for a little sweet dessert...I'd seen these 'cauliflower cakes' over at the Unconventional Baker...this one was called 'Lemony Cauliflower Cake'

...but I only wanted the creamy part as n'ice cream...
...so I blended up the creamy ingredients...subbing stevia for the maple syrup...and leaving out the poppy seeds altogether...it was delicious 'warm' from the blender...
...so I was pretty sure it'd be delicious frozen too...I put it into a container to freeze...

...and then we were ready...

...do you like to get things ready before your guests arrive or wait until they do?...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. interesting! would have never thought of those substitutions. love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I've used pita bread to make chips, I let them roast in a slow oven which seems to help. hope you had good times with your company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really make things ahead too much though I do like to plan some things out for guests to eat. If I had a larger freezer I would definitely put it to good use and make meals ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I get food ready ahead and then warm it up.

    ReplyDelete