Monday, March 06, 2017

Waste Not...

...are you careful not to waste food?...we try not to...
...we were out of Bee Free Vegan Honey...and I needed to make some more...

...but the last time I made it I wound up throwing out the organic apple that I used to make the pectin/juice base for the Vegan Honey...because I had cooked it together with the chamomile...

...so this time...I cooked and strained the apple out before I added the chamomile...and then I added that to the blender as part of a smoothie...
...then I proceeded with the recipe as usual...and it turned out perfectly...
...and then I blended the pulp with some other fruit...
...and had a nice smoothie...

...and then I was making soy milk...
...when I blend the soybeans with water in the Vitamix...it's really foamy...
...but the foam dissipates as it cooks...
...I like to cool it down quickly...
...and then strain it through a muslin jelly cloth...
...and squeeze out the soymilk...
...which leaves behind a lot of pulp...called okara...
...and of course I didn't want to waste it...
...so I mixed it with some Miso, Tahini, lemon juice and garlic...
...and it turned out to be so delicious...
...so instead of trash...we have a delicious snack...

Bean Paté

Ingredients:
•soybean pulp from making Soymilk
•Juice of 1 large lemon
•1 tbsp sweet white miso
•1 tbsp sesame tahini
•Minced garlic cloves (optional)

...How about sharing some of the ways you keep from wasting food...

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's neat. i do a pretty good job of eating left-overs for lunch the next day. this seems easier when only cooking for two in the first place!
    love, k

    ReplyDelete