Wednesday, March 08, 2017

...W.I.P. Wednesday...favorite cardigan remake...

...I've had this tattered old cotton cardigan since before Scout was born...and I've worn it a lot...

...so much so that it's not really presentable for wearing outside the house...and really not even presentable enough to wear inside the house...

...but I love it's boxy shape...and the fact that it's cotton...and it's just the right thickness to pull on over a T-shirt...
...so I decided to cut it apart and use it as a pattern to make a new cardigan...just like it...without the holes...

...and you've seen that knit t-shirt-y material before...many years ago...I used it to make an Alien costume for a Third Grader Scout for Halloween...and I have just enough leftover in my stash to re-make this cardi...
...really...really simple...a back...two fronts...and two sleeves...and a little bit of binding for the neck...
...all stitched together...I used the old cardi front to mark the spacing for the buttons...
...made the buttonholes first...and slit them open...
...and then used the openings to mark the spot for the buttons...
...almost done...
...not sure if you can see it in any of these photos...but the original had a very fine crocheted border on the buttonhole side of the front...
...so I got out some cream coloured thin crochet thread...and mimicked that chain stitch border on my new cardi as well...
...here's a closeup...it's just a single crochet into the edge of the sweater...and then a chain 5...super simple...and pretty close to the original...
...and here's the finished cardigan...I'll have to get someone to take a photo of me wearing it...

...have you ever used an old garment for a pattern?...

...what's in your workbasket this Wednesday?

~Have a lovely day!

5 comments:

  1. that is very cool! bet you'll miss the super soft coziness of the old one...that is, until you wear/wash this new one alot!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice reproduction!! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented!
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work! I did this once with a really neat vintage dress that I'd mended and mended and mended beyond hope of any more mending. It isn't quite a good as the original (it was so broken in and comfy), but not too shabby. How wonderful you were able to make just what you know you like. Hooray for sewing!

    ReplyDelete