Wednesday, July 05, 2017

...July 4th Eats...or W.I.A.Y. ...

...I hope you all enjoyed a nice 4th of July celebration with your families...(if you're in the US)...

...I thought I'd switch up W.I.A.Y. and show you what we ate on the 4th...
...we started the day (after sleeping a bit late)...with some cantaloupe...
...this is just a regular one from the grocery store...but we're looking forward to some homegrown ones soon...from our garden...wink/wink...
...it was nice and light and yummy...
...then for lunch...I had bought plantains (not something I normally buy)...for a specific recipe I'd seen...it's Guy Fieri's recipe for Plantain Pancakes...veganized...of course...
...the recipe calls for fresh ginger...and I usually just run it through my Mouli grater...as that gives a nice consistency...
...and we had to wait for the plantains to ripen to the black and soft stage...still they were much more difficult to peel than a banana...and I wound up using a knife...and then you just mash them with a potato masher...
...add the ginger...some green and some sweet onion...
...cornmeal...flour and the recipe calls for buttermilk...so I used some the vegan whey I have leftover from making soy yogurt...it gives a nice sour/buttermilk-y flavor...
...give that all a mix...
...this is the consistency...
...and I decided to make waffles instead of pancakes...because...waffles are better...
...all that crispy crust you know...
...meanwhile...I made some rainbow veggie bowls...corn...fresh (Foreman Grilled) green beans...beets...and carrots...(also Foreman Grilled)...
...added a few waffle triangles...
...and lunch was served...

...the verdict...the waffles were good...different from potato pancakes...but slightly like them too...they were sweet...and we all thought it was WAY too much ginger...so we'll be cutting that down quite a bit for next time...
...later in the afternoon...I made this...German Chocolate Cake...
...and then...this arrived...from "our" garden...haha...
...so I got shucking...
...and we'll have our first fresh corn of the season...
...a little while later...the Man fired up the grill...
...so we could have some delicious smokey grilled tofu...
...we had some more lettuce from "the garden"...wink...so I made some salads...
...the Man dressed up a can of Vegetarian Baked Beans with some onions and molasses...
...and I made some vegan potato salad...
..I added some fresh pear to my salad...no one else likes fruit with lettuce...I can't figure that out...
...fresh corn...
...my plate...
...I spooned over some of the Man's 'homemade' BBQ sauce...it's really just store bought (or boughten...if you prefer the ND word) sauce that he doctors up with some spice...
...and then ...there was cake for dessert...

...what did you eat yesterday?...were you celebrating the 4th?...

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!! that is all just lovely! when i saw the photo of the crushed ginger, i thought to myself "that's ALOT of ginger"!!

    we did our July 4th cookout with Sharon and Buddy - i had a wonderful black bean burger - just Morningstar Farms brand - but really good. I know, it's not vegan....

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! So many lovely 'home grown' veggies!

    ReplyDelete