Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Just a quick post before the festivities begin. We are thankful for pies:


















The first one is Bryanna's Vegan Pumpkin Pie and it is really good.

And the Second One is sort of from the Better Homes and Gardens issue that I was browsing while I was waiting in line at the grocery store.

















This is what I did:

I adapted my Flaky Pie Crust recipe to add some whole wheat - the pie in BHG had a whole wheat crust. I used the same crust for the pumpkin pie too.

Whole Wheat Pastry Crust:

1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. oil3-4 tbsp. cold water

Mix oil and water together and add to flour, mix well and roll out between two sheets of wax paper.

I cut the little hearts out of leftover pastry and dipped them in sugar - to match the picture on the BHG.

For the Tart filling:

2-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

I mixed that all together and microwaved on high for about 5 minutes - until it was bubbly and thick and the berries started to pop. Then I poured it into the crust and baked at 350 for about 40 minutes.

Happy Thanksgiving!

0 comments:

Post a Comment