Thursday, November 16, 2006

Impossible Pumpkin Pie

Last night the Man-Cub and I made the impossible pumpkin pie from http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/and-answer-is.html and it is really good. The only sub I made was for the EnerG egg - I used my trusty flax seed goo and the pie has a good texture. I like a crust and this one doesn't form much of a crust, but the texture and flavor of this pumpkin pie is excellent.



















We also made the No-Knead Bread from this NY Times recipe
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html?ref=dining
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
The video is cute - The Man-Cub thought it was funny that he says a 6 year old can make better bread than most bakeries. The bread was very good - I served it with a white bean soup (flavored only with bay leaf).
















After about 18 hours - I put the covered bowl in my oven with the light on - it creates just enough warmth and there are no drafts.















Then all you do is fold it over a couple of times.















and put it on a floured towel.
















Let it rise again for about 2 hours.
















Heat your dutch oven in a 450° oven for about 30 minutes - this one is very old - it belonged to the Man's Mamaw back in the 1930's - I was concerned about the lack of any oil - I didn't want it to stick, but if your dutch oven is good and hot it shouldn't be a problem.

















The top isn't as nicely round as I would have liked, but the bread stuck to the towel a little bit, so it didn't plop right into the pot the way it should have done. But the crust browned nicely and it tasted great.

1 comment:

  1. yummy, I would have either had lots of butter or olive oil/balsamic vinegar to dip that bread in! You're too good at finding interesting foodstuffs. I'm lazy tonight - probably will have sandwiches or something. The kiddos are both working. talk to ya soon, love, k

    ReplyDelete