Friday, October 21, 2022

...10.21...2022 Harvest...

...well...as October draws to a close...and the vines start to wither...I think I've left the squash on the vine about as long as I can...nighttime temperatures are dropping into the thirties (near 0 C)...and we've had some frost warnings...
...and they didn't really get any bigger...they're still all what I'd call small butternuts...
...brought them in and gave them a wash...
...sliced them all in half...
...and scooped out the seeds...(or brains...as Our Airman used to say when he ws making Jack-O-Lanterns)...
...because the roasted seeds are truly one of the best parts of the squash...here's how I roast mine...first I put them in a pot with water and a generous spoonful of salt...and boil them for a few minutes...
...and then I just spread them on a tray...
...and roast them until the are dry and crispy...they are so delicious...I love them...
...and they can roast at the same time as the squash...
...when it was done...I scooped it all out...
...and froze it in muffin cups...so I'll have butternut squash for 'pumpkin' pies...haha...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your weekend!

1 comment: