Monday, September 21, 2015

...Box Pleated Curtains on a Rod Pocket...a Tutorial...

...we've been here a few months now...so it's high time I did something in the way of window treatments...

...all of the windows had sort of generic white blinds when we moved in...
...the first thing I did was to install the rod and secure it with masking tape as I'll be using that to measure the width...unlike with gathered curtain/valences...you have to be pretty precise with a tailored pleated look...
...so I let Scout choose his material from our recently moved stash...he chose this navy...which I thought would be a little dark...so I talked him into just doing a stripe of navy on a background of royal...both of these materials were gifted to me years ago by my Mom...so I'm happy to finally be using them up...then I cut the strips that will be the little navy accent stripes...
...and ironed under both sides to make a finished edge...
...then I made a notch of the center of the material (this is where the box pleat will be)...and went ahead and hemmed the bottom...
...then I pinned the stripe onto the curtain...
...and stitched it in place...
...then I got the rod and measured the center of it...and lined up my notch with the center of the rod...
...and then formed a box pleat that left the two side ends of the curtain right at the edge of rod...I hope that makes sense...
...then with the box pleat pinned at the raw top edge...
...I pressed the pleat well from the front...
...and again from the back...
...then from the back side...I stitched a little rectangle all the way around the top of the box pleat...this will be hidden completely when I fold that under for the rod pocket...
...so that's the next step...fold the raw top edge to the back to make a pocket for the rod to slide into...
...I actually made mine a double turn for a neat back side...but that's not really necessary...
...took a final measurement...I wanted them to be 15 inches... - ish...
...and finally...just make a nice crisp corner at the front end of the rod pocket for a finished tailored look...
...and then I hung that one up...
...and went and made another one...
...for a matched set...

...if you have any questions or anything isn't clear...just comment here or email from the contact link on the sidebar...

...it really does feel good to add some homey touches here and there...

...Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. They look just great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so nice!! love the colors too. you're such a neat seamstress!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete