Tuesday, April 17, 2018

...Vegan BBQ Pulled Pork using simple ingredients....

...I had seen Lauren Toyota's version of Pulled Pork over at Vegan It...and wanted to try it out...I've made vegan BBQ out of a lot of different things...cabbage...jack fruit...tofu...and seitan...
...but Ms. Toyota uses a combination of shredded mushrooms and artichokes...
...the stms are easily shredded...
...just mashing them makes some pretty convincing shreds...
...but for the tops...I got my box grater out to do the shredding...
...and I found that they were easier to shred turned on the flat side instead of end on...
...and I had quite a pile of shredded mushrooms...
...and then I got out a can of artichokes...
...and just gave them arough chop...
...and added all the mushrooms and the artichokes to a pan...and let it cook for a bit...
...then added some BBQ sauce...Lauren makes her own...but I just went with a vegan bottled sauce...
...let it cook for a bit...
...and then gave it a stir...
...and repeated that a few times...
...until it had the right meaty texture...
...with some crispy bits...and some caramelized bits...
...then I toasted some buns...
...and put on a generous amount of BBQ...
...and added some vegan coleslaw...
...for a perfect BBQ sandwich...
...added a side of crinkle fries and some carrot sticks...
...for a pretty much perfect lunch...
...and it was delicious...

~Have a lovely day!

5 comments:

  1. I juste made pulled "whatever" with oyster mushrooms. I didn't think that "champignons de Paris" would do it too! Glad to know that! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something about crinkle cut chips, I first had them when I was on holiday in Scarborough in 1961!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all those ingredients so I'm sure I would like the BBQ version. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. neat-o! that looks great. love, k

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using jackfruit in place of pork for vegan pulled pork recipes. I have seen mushroom ones too, but they seem to promote oyster mushrooms or more expensive ones. So I am very pleased to see the mushrooms you use are the ones readily available in the UK, so will have a go. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete