Thursday, March 01, 2012

...exploring WV...Montgomery...


...I love visiting small towns...Montgomery, WV...population, 1,981...

...this is a quaint little hillside town...home to the WVU Tech...where Scout's Merit Badge College was held...

...I had plenty of time to wander around while he was in class...so that's just what I did...I loved this little clock beside the boarding platform...

...several trains came whistling through the little town...and each time...I turned and ran toward the platform...camera in hand...only to get this view of the last cars as they trundled past...still...I love to hear the trains...and this seriously happened about 5 times...so the inhabitants must be really used to hearing trains...

...I can remember staying at Grandma's for a week in the summer and when we first got there...the trains woke us up in the middle of the night...my sweet sis and I were tucked up in the front bedroom...with a lovely view across the pasture to the train tracks...but then, by the end of the week...we were sleeping right through the midnight trains...funny how quickly you adapt...I bet the Montgomerians don't even bat an eye when a train goes by...

...and I also loved this sweet little white Episcopal Church tucked in between the buildings 'downtown'...

...and I sat at the college wondering what on earth this path was...maybe part of a ski slope with no snow...

...I'm always amazed at the lengths mankind will go to to carve out a space...I marvel at the amount of time and earth moving it took to make these roads through the mountains...

...are you more of a small town or a big city explorer?...

PS...March came in like a lamb...but February went out like a lion...

5 comments:

  1. I love trains, it is so comforting to wake in the night and hear a train.

    We live near the 'South Downs' and along their length their are many prehistoric forts. The work it took to make the vast earthworks is immense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. neat little place! i'm sure you'll find lots of those places in wva! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that path is a fire lane. It stops fires from spreading across the mountains in dry weather? I could be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WV has a very interesting landscape. Enjoy exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of Bryson City. Those small towns seem to revolve around trains and clocks. MOM

    ReplyDelete