Tuesday, September 21, 2021

...9.21...a trip to Mom's and a little family history...

...the first thing Mom showed us was this picture of her Great-Grandfather...
...and the inscription on the reverse...I can remember hearing his name and it's in the Family Bible...but this is the first picture I've seen of him...
...and then Mom had several artifacts from her grandfather that I'd never seen as well...he was a Baptist minister and this is his seminary yearbook from 1923...
...the title page...I just love looking at old books like this...do you?...
...the beginning few pages were images from around campus...I could just imagine walking on these paths...
...and the old buildings were so ornate...
...and huge...
...there were over 300 people in his graduating class...
...and one of them was my Poppaw...
...and there was a section at the back with photos of all the wives...I would have said spouses but they really were all wives...

...but the introduction to this section was interesting in that it makes reference to the newly acquired voting rights of women...
...and a sweet photo of Mommaw...
...and then there was a section of photos of all the children...such a sweet idea...and we chuckled over the poem in the introduction...it's one I was familiar with from my childhood...but we said it a little bit differently...

...the boys' verse was always first...

What are little boys made of?
Snips, and snails
And puppy-dogs' tails
That's what little boys are made of

What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice
And everything nice
That's what little girls are made of

...interesting that they included the word 'mean' for the puppy's...
...and then a super sweet photo of my Grandma...that none of us had ever seen before...with her hair done up fancy...I see a resemblance to the niece I kept a few weeks ago...
...and at the very end were a few pages of pretty bad jokes...
...it was funny reading some of them...and some would definitely not be politically correct today...
...and then we spent a little bit of time figuring out the Greek inscription on the cover...O κῆρυξ...messenger...proclaimer...crier, who made proclamation...

...it was really very interesting and a lot of fun...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I've never seen any of that. Cool. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...I hope you got a chance to look through it when you were home...it was really interesting...
      Love,
      T

      Delete
  2. This is very cool, Teresa. Very cool.

    And I always knew it as puppy dog's tail not mean puppy's tail, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,
    ...it was all so interesting...I do love me some family history...and I'm sure the puppy's weren't mean...no idea where that came from..
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete