Monday, August 10, 2020

...8.10...Over the Weekend...

...well...I did do other things over the weekend...I knit, and read, and watched tv, and walked the dog (who's doing much better and he goes back to the vet for a followup on Wednesday), exercised, and went to Church...but apparently the only things I took pictures of were food related...
...I did the weekly shopping...some things are still hard to find...but I got everything on my list...and the only thing of note is the purple sweet potatoes...can't wait to try those...
...the Man said 'remember that brown bread we made that one time...we should make that again'...so I did...but I didn't have any of the yellow corn meal the recipe called for...we normally only have the white kind because we prefer it for cornbread...but I did have some yellow grits...so I just whizzed those in my old coffee grinder...
...this "thirded bread"...is just one third, rye, cornmeal and wheat flour...
...I baked it in my old tin that I keep for making seitan in sometimes...because it is traditionally round for some reason...it was yummy...sweet and molassess-y...

Small Loaf Brown Bread

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan buttermilk - made by adding a tsp of AC vinegar to a cup of soymilk...
1/3 cup molasses
1 tablespoon canola oil

...bake in a Juice Can lined with parchment...
...and then because you can never have too much bread...haha...really we just needed some sandwich bread...
...I've tweaked the bread recipe enough now that I know exactly how much flour will make a perfectly sized Pullman loaf...
...perfectly baked...and only those little curly bits squeezed out of the pan...
...the bottom of the loaf...
...sliced...
...and ready for storage...
...this bread is the best...topped with a homegrown tomato and vegan mayo...
...then I whipped up three more of my favorite things...vegan strawberry yogurt, vegan tofu pudding, and vegan mayo...
...and we were almost out of croutons...
...so I made some of those...
...they are so perfect and not hard like the storebought kind...
...I always store them in these two recycled jars...one pan of croutons fills them both up...
...and while the oven was on...I made Susan Voisin's Impossible Vegan Pumpkin Pie...

...~Wishing you a lovely start to your week!

5 comments:

  1. All your bread just looks perfect!
    I've had the purple sweet potatoes (Corty grew them for several years). I wasn't really fond of them although they are pretty - too starchy, hope yours is better. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your baking looks scrumptious. I love a good tomato sandwich on homemade bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All looks good. And, it's me again with more questions!! Approximately what size tin did you bake the thirded bread in? Could you provide height and diameter? And, do you have the thirded bread recipe posted on the blog somewhere, if not could you provide it?
    Also, (no, not another question LOL) I started watching The Green Valley on YouTube, you mentioned in a recent dinner and a movie post, it is really interesting and quite enjoyable watching.

    Have a good day,

    Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bean,

      I've updated the post to include the measurements that I actually used...the original Brown Bread recipe was in this post...but I halved it and reduced the oil dramatically...and I didn't add any fruit...https://affectioknit.blogspot.com/2018/07/instead-of-wiay.html
      ..the can that I used was a standard pineapple juice can...I think 42 oz...
      ..I'm glad you like the Green Valley...we enjoyed it...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  4. you've got me thinking of making homemade croutons! I haven't done that in quite a while! Since I cannot get dairy free sour cream anywhere in this tiny town I am going to try making it myself out of silken tofu! Wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete