Saturday, February 11, 2017

...Dinner (Vegan Cabbage BBQ)...and a Movie...

...so for the first time in a few weeks...we found ourselves quietly at home on a Friday evening...so that of course means...Dinner and a Movie...

...we used to call this Family Movie Night...but it's more often just the Man and I now...
...and having made Jack Fruit BBQ for Scout's Graduation Party...I got the bright idea that I could do a more frugal and more readily available version with the simple and abundant green cabbage...

...so I shredded some up in my trusty Emmie food processor...that was a gift from my sweet bro and his wife many years ago...still going strong though...
...just got that cooking in a pot and added a generous amount of Annie's BBQ...
...and let it simmer away...I didn't really want any crunch to my cabbage in the end...and you can see there's quite a bit of water in cabbage...
...so I just let it cook
...and in the meantime...I grilled some buns in Earth Balance...
...you can just use plain buns or toasted ones...but grilled ones are better...
...and by now...almost all of the water is evaporated from the cabbage...
...and it really kinda resembles BBQ...
...so time to plate up with some fries and red slaw...using TV trays also given to us as a Christmas present many years ago...we've had these about as long as we've had Scout...I'm pretty sure they were the result of a Bed Bath and Beyond gift certificate from Mom...

...and now it's time to go watch a movie...

...the Man picked (we weren't really sure whose turn it was)...A Man Called Ove...I was really surprised...first because subtitles were involved...and second because...well the Man's father passed away recently...and I won't say any more because it would probably ruin the movie...and I may have said too much already...

...but we really enjoyed it...a sweet, funny, romantic movie...just a story about some people...just my kind of movie...

~Wishing you a lovely weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Cabbage is a good vegetable! The last movie we watched was Margin Call on Netflix. Very good.

    There is a French TV series on Netflix here which is very funny. Set in an agency for film stars, called Dix Pour Cent in France and 'Call My Agent' in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved A Man Called Ove! I read the book, will try to watch the movie, although you're right, not exactly a "guy" flick! Love, k

    ReplyDelete