Wednesday, November 14, 2007

As Southern as Grits


That's me - up here anyway - I don't think I stood out as 'southern' down south - but up here I sure do. I probably won't ever say about like 'a boat' or roof like 'ruff' - but I do try to fit in and say 'fer funny' or 'fer sweet' whenever I can - of course with my accent it's bound to sound funny to their ears - I just know they're thinking - 'oh fer cute - she's trying to talk like us...'

A gentleman at church the other day asked the Man what a 'grit' was - and he thought that was funny as we had never heard it used in the singular.

The Man-Cub is still not very fond of grits - when he was a toddler we used to make cream of wheat and call it grits - then one time I gave him 'real' grits and he said 'No Mama - I don't like sand in them' - I know Awww - fer sweet...

Anywhooo - I do love my grits. The Man orders them from http://www.mybrandsinc.com/ShopOnline/catalog.asp We have to buy a case at a time - but we can eat a case of grits...


I make mine extra creamy by adding a bit more water and the Earth Balance while they are cooking and I stir them quite a bit too.

4 comments:

  1. that does look yummy. it's almost 80 degrees here today - but there's a cold front on the way. tomorrow is supposed to be about 30 degrees cooler...brrrrr i'm sure the grits will sound good tomorrow morning!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highs have been in the 30s here most days so it's pretty chilly. The Man eats sugar in his grits - I should have posted that - it's so gross...

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with the man-cub, I don't care much for grits. Everyone to his own taste, I say, sugar and all. E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mom,

    I did remember that you don't like grits. Are you like the Man-Cub and think there's sand in them...

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete