Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Waiting for Godot

“ I cannot explain my plays. Each must find out for himself what is meant. ”
—Samuel Beckett,

Y'all know that one of the sort of weird things about me is that if I pick up a book in the library and it has never been checked out - I simply have to check it out and read it (it's like my underdog thing). So while we were at the library Saturday I picked up Waiting for Godot - I often pick up books that I've read before and just glance through them and remember the reading of them...

So this copy had never been checked out...

So, I re-read Waiting for Godot while the Man-Cub was playing with his friend at the park - it's a quick read - we were only there about an hour and a half. I'm not accustomed to reading plays so that took some getting used to. I must have been too young when I first read this - and I probably still am - because I don't really 'get it'. But it still appeals to me - almost in the same way reading the Bible does - not on an intellectual level - but something much more subconscious. I can see lots of different interpretations would be possible - a Biblical one of course - and it has a very existentialist feel about it too - and remember in high school when you had to do the Archetype thing - you could do that too. So, I don't really have a lot to say about a play in which nothing happens - they just wait (twice)...

4 comments:

  1. ok, so now i'll have to go find it too!

    thanks alot

    ReplyDelete
  2. which means atlas shrugged will have to wait another 1 1/2 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - do and let me know what you think - I loved Atlas Shrugged!

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I will have to get both of them. E

    ReplyDelete