Saturday, August 10, 2013

...menu planning...

...are you a menu planner?...

...it's one of those things that can probably divide the world...you know...there are 2 types of people...those who are menu planners...and those who are not...

...I grew up in the house of a menu planner...so I probably got that gene honestly...

...my mom kept a simple menu plan on a calendar taped to the inside of the cabinet to the left of the sink...
...this is how I do it...I love making the weekly plan and shopping list...
...and then it just takes a little planning to make sure that your raisin bread is ready on the day you want to eat it...we set ours up in the bread machine the night before...(recipe below)
...and here's proof that we really do have what's on the menu...

...I've added my menu planner to the sidebar...click on it and it'll take you to a page you can print...(I print mine front and back...just to save paper)...and then I tape it to the inside of the cabinet...just like Mom...

Bread Machine Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Add in the order required by your machine:

7 oz water
2 cups Bread Flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Earth Balance
1 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
1/2 Cup Raisins

~Have a lovely day!

8 comments:

  1. I now make a 'plan' for everything. I use a small spiral bound notebook ( I like the ones with a elastic band to hold a pen on the front) and use a page a day. Everything goes on it, meals, errands, phone #s, memos to myself. Keeps me straight. But you probably already knew that. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my menu plan. My mom always made-do without one, I'm not sure how she did it! I need it all in writing or I forget (she also never shops with a grocery list and NEVER forgets ANYTHING... I'm impressed!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, I am not a menu-planner. Back when I was cooking for my family and my elderly in-laws across the street, I only survived by menu-planning. It was essential, and my MIL loved having a copy of the week's menu so she could tell her friends. lol

    But now that it's just DH and me, I practice seat-of-the-pants cooking. Every week I buy the basics, plus whatever seasonal organic produce is at the store or farmers market. Then our daily main meals are based on that produce paired with a grain, beans, or potatoes, and something fresh like stuffed celery or sliced tomatoes or steamed greens/broccoli. I literally don't decide what to cook until about an hour before mealtime. Whatever is most ripe gets prepared. It's really kinda fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Dave was alive, I planned menus but now, not so much. I do find when I eat a hearty breakfast, lots of protein, it's easier to eat a sandwich for lunch and yoghurt and vegs for supper. It works out, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a menu planner but I have staples and all the ingredients for them in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a dry erase board which hangs on the side of the fridge. Because we pack, I plan out lunch and dinner, and honestly, breakfast has made the list too! SO MUCH COOKING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I am a definite planner. Couldn't shop without one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a menu planner really but I've always planned a few meals ahead.

    I always buy food on special (sales) and then I try to formulate meals around that. These days I buy a lot of veggies, fruits and grains and I eat a lot of the same things during the week with a bit of meat and fish thrown in the mix.

    I don't write it all down and I don't do it for an an entire week though I might start doing that just so I can keep my "take away" meals more organized.

    ReplyDelete