Friday, March 07, 2008

Spring Break

It's so funny that today is the Man-Cub's official 'Spring Break'. It was 20 below zero last night and the high is now about 5 above - so it's very 'spring-y'...
Anyway, I try and make it a light day at work when he's home from school so that we can play and craft together.

We started with a big breakfast of Aebleskivers - or apple pancakes http://www.solvangrestaurant.com/aebleskiver.html - cooked on our new Range - Love it! One of the neat things about this area is that the people have only been living here for a little over 100 years. So they know who was their first ancestor to emigrate to the United States and they definitely know what 'nationality' they belong to. If someone 'down south' were to ask me about my ancestry - I'd pretty much have to say that I'm a 'mutt'. My family has been in the United States since the early 1600's - and I've traced them back to England in the 1500's (on Daddy's side). So there have been so many marriages and offspring that it would be pretty impossible at this point to say that I'm Scots Irish or English or German - hence a 'mutt'. But it's very different up here - people often ask if I'm Swedish/Norwegian/Dane/German because they still think along those 'national' lines. And if you've read Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth series you can see that they think it's pretty important to stay within your 'nationality/religion'.

Anywhoo - we have been introduced to some very 'interesting' local cuisine - I won't go into lutefisk here (gross!) - but there is Klub (that's German)- which is some sort of potato dumpling surrounding a lump of ham which is then deep fried. I did go into some detail about lefse (that's Norwegian) back before Christmas http://affectioknit.blogspot.com/2007/11/letse-make-lefse-i-had-never-really.html - I can make a pretty good lefse now - but I still think it's an awful lot of trouble for a thin flat potato pancake.

And now my favorite Aebelskiver (it's Danish) - First get an Aebelskiver pan...

just make your favorite Vegan Pancake Batter - http://affectioknit.blogspot.com/2007/07/waffles-on-saturday-mornings-we-often.html

Isn't that a cute pan - it's cast iron and has 7 little wells for the aebelskivers...

Fill the little wells about 3/4 full with pancake batter...

Give your little one a wooden skewer to poke and turn the aebelskivers with...

OK don't fill the little wells 3/4 full - just a half....

...or you'll end up with messy aebelskivers like these...

1/2 full is better...

...the batter browns on the first side and then you flip them over and the uncooked batter on top coats the little well again and makes a little 'puff' cavity in the center of the aebelskiver. I should note that the name aebelskiver means 'apple slices' - aebelskive (s.) - but they only have apple slices in them if you put them in - we didn't and we ate our 'pancake puffs' with maple syrup - YUM! - it was a lot of fun...

0 comments:

Post a Comment