Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Taste Test

Since I got my SoyQuick soy milk maker for my birthday - I've not really had any of the 'commercial' stuff. But one of the ladies at church made a special little casserole for me at the Lenten supper and she gave me the leftover milk - as she said she didn't have any use for it (I sort of thought that was funny - but thanked her sweetly). So then when I got home I thought I'd try a side-by-side taste test...


...a little glass of my homemade soy milk right beside the 'commercial' stuff. The first thing you notice is the difference in color - my soymilk is a pale creamy color and theirs is a little bit more brown. The first taste is of the commercial milk and it has a chalky feel in your mouth and it's very sweet. I add a little bit of sugar and salt both to my soymilk, but it doesn't taste sweet to me. My soymilk tastes/feels cleaner but you can also taste a little bit of 'bean'. I try very hard to remove all of the skins as that's where the 'beany' taste is supposed to come from. I rarely drink just 'plain' soymilk so either of these would be just fine - I definitely think mine is better for any type of savory cooking as it is less sweet - better for cornbread and mashed potatoes for sure...

I guess cost would be the major difference. I got 20 lbs of Laura soybeans with my SoyQuick and I've used a little over half of them - I think the beans cost about $20 too. The half gallon of purchased soymilk costs about $4.00 and my quart just a few cents and about 15 minutes of my time - I use about 1 quart every other day. So there you have it...

2 comments:

  1. Wait - I didn't even know you could make your own soy milk! That's great! I've been making my own yogurt for sometime now - goat's milk most of the time and it is so delicious and definitely cost effective and environmentally friendly! I wonder if you could make soy yogurt...have you tried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Yep - I even blogged about it here http://affectioknit.blogspot.com/2007/04/favorite-breakfast-this-one-is-so-easy.html - it was easy and fun.

    ReplyDelete