...we started off Saturday morning with some waffles...
...and then did the weekly shopping...
...of note...a head of lettuce to make wedge salads later this week...and a bag of smarties for Halloween Trick-or-Treaters...
...this week's Poppi is pomegranate orange...it was good...
...I had gotten this neat squeezer gadget thingy to press the hot soybean slurry and save my hands...
...well...this contraption may not have been worth the money...
...it does squeeze the nut milk bag...but it's not that easy to turn and it's difficult to keep it upright in the bowl...we'll see...
...I made a batch of soymilk...I'm using two different methods...Miyoko's no cold water soak method...and then a random youtube video where this guy tries making the soymilk he had in Taiwan...
...he does soak his beans...but then he puts a film of soymilk in his pan...
...and scorches it...as soon as it gets a caramel colour...and you have watch it closely and be really careful not to burn it...
...you pour in the rest of the soymilk...
...and then scrape up all of those toasty bits from the bottom of the pan...and it gives the milk a nice toasty caramel-y flavor...I was so intrigued and I'm still amazed at this process...it does work and the soymilk is delicious...
...and then you strain it again to get all of those little toasty floaties out...haha...
...then I immediately wanted to use up the leftover okara...so I made a batch of crackers...I added some starch as the last ones I made with just flour and okara were too hard...
...rolled them out thinly between two chip bags...
...and cut them into little cracker shapes with the pastry wheel...
...and then...of course...I decorated a little tin to keep those cute little crackers in...
...then I used up the rest of the okara to make some 'saltines'...
...just replacing 1/3 of the flour with okara...and sprinkling the top with some course salt...
...and spoiler...these were way too hard...I'll try them in some soup to see if they soften enough for that...but I won't be snacking on them...
...we roasted the peppers Mom had given us on the back porch...
...just turning them over as they blackened...
...once they were pretty well charred...
...we peeled them...
...and added the very last of this batch of okara to some chickpeas to make some huumus...
...the Man smashed the peppers in his molcajete...
...to make a peppery pulp...
...and stirred that into the hummus...
...gave it a little taste...it's pretty spicy...but we should have known Mom's peppers would be hot...haha...
...I put the crackers on a plate...
...and they're actually still a little bit to hard and crunchy...
...popped the spicy hummus in the middle...
...we snacked on it a little bit while we played a game of mahjong...
...I'll probably eat the rest of these crackers and try again to make them crispier...haha...
~Wishing you a lovely start to your week!
Monday, September 28, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I never had much luck getting crackers just the right consistency….good luck. Love, K
ReplyDelete