Thursday, July 04, 2024

...7.4...Delicious Vegan Food we ate on the Fourth of July...

Happy Independence Day!...
...well we started the Holiday off with a bit of a breakfast disaster...
...once again...arghhhh...I added buckwheat to my tried and true waffle recipe...and once again...it tore apart when I opened the lid once it had stopped steaming...
...not to worry...I didn't waste it...but I pulled it out in pieces...
...and ate it with a tofu/baco/violife cheddar omelette...and there was absolately nothing wrong with the way it tasted...but I think I won't try to make buckwheat waffles ever again...and the Man said I said that last time...haha...I just don't think they have enough gluten to hold together in the waffle iron...I'll have to stick to buckwheat pancakes...oh well...
...in the afternoon...we were touching up the paint here and there in the dinette...and I wanted to have Strawberry Shortcake for dessert...after our Hot Dog dinner...so I got out my old Betty Crocker Cookbook...and just veganized the recipe in it...

...the Man's Mom always made a yellow cake and topped it with strawberries and called it Strawberry Shortcake...it's delicious...but it's not the same thing...

...and...pay no attention to the calories listed for this recipe...575 calories per serving...YIKES!...
...cut up your strawberries and cover them with sugar and set aside...
...the recipe calls for vegetable shortening...but I'm using Violife plant based vegan butter instead...well chilled...
...barely mix it into a ragged dough...
...roll it out...and cut with a biscuit cutter...

...and then...another disaster...
...and then set your toaster oven on the back porch because you don't want to heat up the oven in the 102° F heat...and forget about it...you know...so that you burn the bottoms...oh well...I sliced off the bottoms and we'll have two tops...
...and then we had our 4th of July hot dog supper...with relish and cole slaw...and roasted potatoes on the side...and a Black Cherry soda to drink...it was really a junk filled vegan meat and sugar overload sort of a day...
...and then we assembled the strawberry shortcakes...I wish I'd gotten some blueberries so they could have been Red, White and Blue...
...and they were so delicious...even if they were a little too crispy (overdone)...

...what delicious food did you eat on the 4th?...

~Have a lovely day!

1 comment: