...as always...I seem to have a few things that need to be 'fixed'...
...these are the first little pair of Footlets...that's the actual name fo the pattern...they're in this FO post from 2020...and they've sprouted an actual HOLE...and a few almost worn through places...so obviously, I did not 'nip it in the bud'...to quote Barney Fife...
...and I couldn't find the exact bamboo yarn...so I mended with a similar mercerized cotton...just a little bit too bulky...but maybe it will wear better too...
...and this is Our Airman's baby blanket...and it's way...way older than he is...and it has acquired a few holes as well...I started this blanket when I was still in high school...I think the actual colour was called 'maize'...but I always called it baby yellow...and over the years I never had any trouble matching the yarn...and then since I didn't 'need' it...it kept getting put away...I'd pull it out occasionally...I can remember working on it sometimes in my dorm room at college...so funny to think about that now...so it's been toted around with us through ALL of our moves...obviously I finished it...and it actually functioned as a baby blanket when I finally did have an actual baby...hahaha...
...so I fixed all of the holes...and I had some 'baby yellow' yarn that matched well enough in my stash...haha...
...and wove in the ends...
...and now it's folded up at the foot of one of the beds in the yellow room...just for a little bit of extra warmth if a guest staying in there needs it...and it matches the room perfectly...
...I'm not sure where I saw this 'idea'...but you can make some pretty neat natural buttons from guess what...right...avocado pits...who knew...while they're fresh you can slice them with a knife...
...I'm going to be making a few to replace the Sculpey Buttons on my old Sawtelle sweater...if you look at the pattern photo on Ravelry you can see that they used some sort of natural (brown) buttons...and here you can see the original Sawtelle Sculpey buttons that were made in 2012...but over the years and many washings the Sculpey buttons have finally split and need to be replaced...
...and while they're still soft...I just used a wooden skewer to make some holes in the center...and when these dry I'll drill them out better so that a needle and yarn can go through them...
...after a few days of drying...I just left them on this sheet of waxed milk carton cutout and turned them daily...and they get really hard...
...then I took them out into the garage and drilled some nice neat holes...
...gave them a spritz of olive oil...which deepens the colour a bit...
...let that sit overnight and did it again...just massaging it in...
...just trying to decide which buttons to use...I'll have a few leftover...
...these are the right size and look nice on the sweater...
...so I stitched them in place...
...what's in your workbasket this week?...
~Have a lovely day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I still run across the lacy blanket you made for Robert all those years ago. It’s a treasure. And who knew you could slice avocado pits! Buttons are lovely! Love, K
ReplyDelete